IMHO opinion I would not go forward without 3-5 allies in the Pack that lean the same way you do. I would concentrate on 2-3 priorities and stick with that.

Try not to burn out or get your core group burn't out.

Summer was always tough for us--folks always seemed to be doing their own thing. We were lucky to do one event a month and usually not even that. Now I think a good alternative would be some low stress, low cost social type events during the summer--mostly just to keep the social connections going, We did a fishing derby, movie night, church sleep in, sort of deals. No focus on skills or advancements, uniform optional, open to the family, We also encouraged individual dens to do the occasional summer activities but only the Webes every seemed to do it,

Speaking as a busy scouter I always looked forward to the 6 weeks off.

Hey guys and gals, I want to ask you guys what you think is too much change too quickly? I recently was asked to be our Pack's Cubmaster, to which I agreed. After going through the program as a Tiger Parent/Tiger Den Leader it was easily apparent that something was not being done properly, or what I viewed as even close to properly. However out of respect for those that are volunteering their time and me being the New Guy I just patiently did the best I could for my tiger den. However now that I have been named Cubmaster, I would like to start making gradual changes to get to what I feel is the BSA Cub Scout Program. Some of the suggestions I have brought up have been received with "we have always....." We have never done.............before" or the , we tried it but it didn't work before, type answers. I want to build the pack up to the levels it was at when I was a scout, and my vision of how to do that calls for some simple, yet extremely important changes to be made. However I don't want to make so many changes that it pushes everyone away and I'm standing all alone.

do you have any advice for a rookie CM?

Go to training. that way, you can respond to "we have always" with, that "but it's not the right way according to ...."

The most important thing for Cub Scout is to have fun. If the boys are not having fun, somebody isn't doing the program right. (Boy Scouts should be the same way).

Sometimes there is a reason "we have always done it that way". I pushed hard last year for a proper crossover at the end of the school year with new books, neckers and slides. Big mistake, our area has a lot of apartments and thus higher than average turnover. We got burned and it was my fault for not understanding the pack culture.

At least a few times' date=' we will be on the lawn of the local Nursing Home/Assisted Living complex. The residents of the complex love it any time they can watch kids playing and having fun.[/quote']

Do you combine it with a visit? The residents would probably like it if the boys played bingo with them too.

I did some of the same things when I came in to our Pack. Previously, our pack shut down after March. After our Tiger year I started a spring/summer program of two events per month. April, we had belt loop round up. May, we had Mother's day project. June was father's day project and council summer events. July, was free astronomy and council camp. August was skating or bowling and picnic. We would only get about 5 kids to show up but for those kids they earned the Summer Time Achievement Award. Hopefully, it will continue now that our son has crossed over.

First thing I look for when planning events is free stuff; we have a science center that does a few free things each month. Then, I look for things that don't cost too much, skating or bowling. I tried to have one free event and one event that cost a little each month. Our final event was an end of summer picnic. Make a summer time passport that can get checked off to earn the Summer Time Award.

A budget is one of the most important things your committee can do. A good budget and an annual plan will make executing the program year much easy.

Summer programming is good for retention. Great for recruiting. Just don't burn out the parents. When the school year starts, if your parent/volunteers aren't raring to go, you'll suffer.

IMHO opinion I would not go forward without 3-5 allies in the Pack that lean the same way you do. I would concentrate on 2-3 priorities and stick with that.

Try not to burn out or get your core group burn't out.

Summer was always tough for us--folks always seemed to be doing their own thing. We were lucky to do one event a month and usually not even that. Now I think a good alternative would be some low stress, low cost social type events during the summer--mostly just to keep the social connections going, We did a fishing derby, movie night, church sleep in, sort of deals. No focus on skills or advancements, uniform optional, open to the family, We also encouraged individual dens to do the occasional summer activities but only the Webes every seemed to do it,

Speaking as a busy scouter I always looked forward to the 6 weeks off.

Realistically, its only 2 or 3 people that aren't on the fence with what I'd like to do. its the former cubmaster (who stepped down due to personal conflict, yet wants to continue on the committee) and former advancement chair, who stepped down because of her "side business" at home starting to pick up. MOST of the rest of the committee respects my scouting experience, but are just gunshy about changing anything.....with a little explination I think I can get them on my side.

Go to training. that way, you can respond to "we have always" with, that "but it's not the right way according to ...."

The most important thing for Cub Scout is to have fun. If the boys are not having fun, somebody isn't doing the program right. (Boy Scouts should be the same way).

from what I have seen, its more from poor/no planning or ignorance. I have seen nobody attend any roundtable meetings, district events, etc.. Hell, only a small handful of people even knew who our DE is.........or that we had one

H However out of respect for those that are volunteering their time and me being the New Guy I just patiently did the best I could for my tiger den.

Some of the suggestions I have brought up have been received with "we have always....." We have never done.............before" or the , we tried it but it didn't work before, type answers.

WOW did someone steal my account and post this question !!!!!

all kidding aside, I bit my lip a lot FOR NOW. Didnt want to start up a committee because, well WE are the committee yadyadyad and this is why the TROOP is suffering.

During the Summer we'll have 1 pack meeting a month

Field day where we'' play kickball, flag football and soccer end it with RainGutter Regata.

Real insightful information given here. And i'm glad I solicited it. After reading through these pages the past few days, i have come to the realization that i am trying to get too much done too quickly. Over time when the emotional connection to my thoughts wore away it was much too clear. Ever since then I have re-prioritized my views on what needs to be done, and let me tell ya, it is a load off my stress level! :D Thanks for the discussion