So Son #1 wants to tie the knot, literally. Instead of that unity candle that's been all the rage these days, he and DILT (daughter-in-law trainee) #1 want me to provide some rope with which they may join one another with bowlines. (I can see the gears rolling with some your replies already.) They asked me to preside over this part of the ceremony. I've already went over knot guides with DILT #1 and it seems like 1/2" sisal is the way to go. There is some debate about whipping the ends to match the gown, the groom's men, or the bride's maids. Not a problem, I got plenty of thread. So have any of you all seen or heard a ceremony like this? I'd like to keep my speaking part to 3 minutes and explain some of the meaning behind the metaphor while the kids are working the rope. Of course "SM minutes" like his should involve a little old, new, borrowed, and blue.

Suggest the bride and groom tie the knot six feet off the deck on a rock face with each belaying the other with a top rope belay ....
The church does have high ceilings and inverted faces ... and we did a bit of rope work when we were remodeling it back in the day. Now that it's all pretty, they frown on that sort of thing.

Wow, I'm impressed. I just walked my daughter down the isle yesterday and there is some honor in being asked to help change tradition. I have a feeling you will do well. There are a lot of cleaver U Tube knot tieing demos that might give you some ideas. Barry

No, not bowline, use a parallel splice. Back to back?? Front to back?? Spanish bowline would allow a double sitdown arrangement. Hosea 11:4.

I wish them a long and fun life.... And Good Scouting to them!

Barry: Thanks for the confidence. I found a guide that she could practice with. If she thinks she'll have too many problems, I'll sew marks in her end so she'll know what aligns where.

KM: I wound up using nylon rope for that very reason. Besides, it matched the dress better (and sets off the whipping that matched the bridesmaid's gowns). :cool: I still fused the ends a little, and they may catch.

TT: :o

S3: I showed them a number of alternatives. They stuck with this! Thanks for the reference! I'll add that to the Ecclesiastes 4:12.