What would you do differently?

OGE,

I think that's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to a bunch of old farts offering a bit of friendly advice to some teenagers. ;-)

I can't believe you think 30, 40, 50, and 60 year-old men (or women) cannot offer any wisdom that would be beneficial to a 14, 15, 16, or 17 year-old boy. I'm not suggesting that they blindly follow the edicts of any one adult. I am suggesting that they may be able to learn some valuable lessons if they listen to some folks who have been around long enough to have made and realized a few of their mistakes. Its that simple...Nothing more to it.

Rooster, its been awhile since we have diagreed so I guess we are due.

First off

"...beneficial to a 14, 15, 16, or 17 year-old boy."

I guess the female ventures don't count, thats ok if you forgot girls can be members of the BSA, lots of other people do. I make this observation specifically for Campfire Fairy, Campaholic and Outdoor Thinker and CrewGirl.

Next, you tell people who are non-Christians they beleive in a bogus religion

You tell Christians who have a different view of the Scriptures than yours that they are wrong

You tell Christians who arent not of the same following/beliefs as you that they are wrong

You tell everyone who does not agree with your own value system they are wrong

You have the right to have and espouse your own beliefs and thats fine,

But now you want to tell the youth how to live their lives, at some point, I have to say, just STOP!

I agree with a lot you say, but I feel compelled to post this.

OGE

I think you're mixing two discussions here - one that was religious in nature and one that's not. I've made enough posts on my religious beliefs...to the point; I don't think I need to or should add another - at least not today.

In regard to this specific thread (which was not intended to be specific to religion), I've merely offered up a few of the things that I think I should have or shouldn't have done when I was younger. I never said any boy or girl had to do the same. These thoughts were merely a reflection on my past, including some of my mistakes. By the way, aside from the faith specific wish of "seek out and attend a Bible believing church", was there something on the list that perhaps rubs you the wrong way, or for that matter, that goes against the values of the BSA?

Also, you should know - I specified "boy" because 1) I am the father of three teenaged boys, and 2) I am a man who knows what its like to be a boy. I have no idea what it's like to be a girl or the kinds of temptations that they fall into.

Frankly, Im a little surprised by your reaction. If I had to guess - someone in your life forced you down a road you didnt want to take. My advice for Scouts is not meant to be anything but just that friendly advice. No one is forcing or telling anyone that they have to do something.

As for my thoughts on Christianity and other faiths, search this forum and you will find them. Theres no need for me to rehash all of that again. However, I do not concur with your characterization of me. In your attempt to summarize, you have over simplified my thoughts concerning the faith and values that I embrace.

Okay, some advice for the younger generation reguardless of gender, hey! Quoting verbatim from my favorite piece of timeless advice....

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself, especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantement it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyound a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful word. Be careful. Strive to be happy."

The Desiderata...

"I guess the female ventures don't count, thats ok if you forgot girls can be members of the BSA, lots of other people do."

Okay, you want some advice for girls?

1) Learn how to check the air in your tires

2) Learn how to check the oil in your car

3) Learn how to change a tire

4) Believe only 10% of what any guy tells you, especially when he's talking about his feelings.

Don't let other people make decisions for you.

Take all the advice, knowledge, research, information, etc that others give you - stir it up and think about it - and then make your OWN decisions.

no matter how much your parents, siblings, girl/boy friend, teachers, etc DO care about you and want to see you succeed - they are basing their opinions on THEIR lives and perspectives.

When all is said and done, they get to go back to their own lives, but YOU have to LIVE with the decision they influenced every minute of every day. forever.

along with keeping your own council on your own decisions, try as many things as possible while you are young and have few commitments to tie you down. Take opportunities while you can.

I don't mean stupid stuff like drugs and bungee jumping.

My niece, 22 yrs old, is teaching and going to school in Spain right now, and having the time of her life, learning the language, culture, and expanding her life and mind.

My best friend from high school, took a job teaching English in Cairo, Egypt right out of school. After that, she taught in Korea, then Japan, before returning to Milwaukee to get her Masters.

Right out of college, I was offered a Job demonstrating sewing machines for Pfaff. I would have gotten to travel all over the US and some world travel, too. One of the bonus' of the job was that I would be given the latest, top-of-the-line computerised machine to keep. (the sewers in the group know what a tempting deal that would be) I turned it down for nights at home in an efficiency apartment in Chicago with my fiance. BAD MOVE.

I should have taken the job.

While you have no spouse, kids, house, bills, etc to tie you down - GO FOR IT! whatever "IT" may be!

laura

IF I could start over at 15, some of the things I'd do differently would be:

develop and maintain more friendships.

explore and travel the world more after high school, before settling down and starting a family.

join a good, friendly, bible-believing church in my early married years.

take very good care of my teeth. They're expensive to fix and will cause great pain when abused.

complete my 51 chevy pickup before graduating from high school. High school is the best time to have a cool car. After getting married, it's not so important.

choose an exciting career that gives you plenty of time off, allows you to work good hours, and is in demand all over.

learn to play a portable instrument.

memorize some shakespeare.

be smart with my money and invest wisely.

kiss and hug my grandparents.

never sit and watch TV when I can get out of the house and: go hiking, fishing, camping, helping someone, visiting someone, reading a good book, horseback riding, skiing, off-roading, etc.

pay more attention to what my Scoutmaster did and why he was so good at it.

I'm sure there are more if I had time to think. Sitting in front of this computer is starting to feel like watching tv (wasted time).

Thanks for the great topic Rooster. Some of you people need to lighten up.

Great advice le voyageur.

Ken