What changes would you make if you were Robert Gates, the new BSA president

If I were BSA president....?

Combine the 3 Citizenship MBs required for Eagle into 1 badge - "Citizenship" - and add two outdoors badges (perhaps Wilderness Survival and Pioneering) as requirements for Eagle to replace the 2 eliminated ones. Make BSA stuff less about going back to the school classroom and more about the outdoors.

Get in front of the narrative when the BSA is attacked. When the Disney Corporation denies its employees the opportunity to contribute their volunteer work hours to the BSA, fire back. Post an online petition to the Disney Corporation demanding that they stop discriminating against the youth of America, especially the underserved minority and disabled youths. Recruit a phalanx of troops in full uniform to march to the Disney HQ in Burbank and ask to present the signed petition to the CEO, and invite the media. If he refuses to come out and meet with them, hold a 24 hour vigil where Scouts take turns reading a list of all the community projects on the steps of their HQ. Make sure the media is there. Send an email to all Scout families asking them to consider whether they want to spend their hard-earned dollars on Disney merchandise and theme parks, and invite them to email or snail-mail Disney to tell them that they won't spend a dime until they rescind their decision, and preferably fire whichever wonk in their HR department who came up with the lamebrained policy. Issue a press statement asking Disney if they plan to stop distribution (and earnings) from "Follow Me Boys." If all else fails, frequently remind the media and press of Walt's own racist, anti-homosexual, and antisemitic proclivities. Bring up "Song of the South" whenever possible. If you know you're going under, make sure to drag your opponent down with you. (Okay, maybe not the last option.) (Unless they force our hand.)

Oderint, dum metuant. There are organizations with whom people do not generally mess, for fear of backlash - the Teamsters Union, the Marine Corps, and certain religious sects known for their harsh reactions to criticism. Elect me as President of the BSA, and I will add the BSA to that list!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would recommend that you copy this into a letter and mail it to him, certified mail, return receipt!   With one addition that I can think of right now.... and that is a section regarding the unif

I'm not sure you're quite at the "95 Thesis" stage yet. I'd dicker with the age designations. There should be a place, as in UK, for a young adult network. APO could fill that on college campuses, ven

In the fall of 2011, BSA addressed major problems with the release of the new Guide To Advancement and the new Eagle scout workbook and processes. I was extremely impressed. The advancement changes

Awwww, I was rather fond of the 'wonderful tarbaby' story, even the way it was warped by Walt. Zipitydooda, zipityay, my oh my-y what a wonderful day....

Edit: Oops, I'm with you on getting the program outdoors. AZMike for president!

So AZ, while I can understand your comments and frustration, you need to remember we have certain guidelines, the Oath and Law, that we "do our best" to live up to. And much of your idea would fly in the face of those it seems to me. Find a way to stay true to our foundation, and I will vote for you.

I think we should allow girls in at all levels' date=' but leave it up to the charter orgs on whether to allow them in for their units (which is how the UK and Canada did it if I remember correctly).[/quote']

UK and Canada don't have charter organizations. In Canada, at least, no unit can be male-only (or, I suppose, female-only) unless it is partnered with a religious organization that prohibits co-ed youth programs. LDS is one of these, I don't know if there are any others. But the vast majority of units don't have an option, they were forcibly integrated.

http://www.scoutscan.com/resources/coedqa.html

That's three votes for me. (I will, of course, vote for myself to help usher in the new Golden Era.) Thanks, comrades. Like Stalin, I will reward absolute obedience with high-ranking crony jobs in my new regime. I sense a groundswell of support.

How about this ? I will vote for you before I vote against you. :)

A qualified "yes," which is close enough for me. I'm up to 4. Word on the street is that Merlyn and I are the same guy, so that's 5 right there.

"I will reward absolute obedience with high-ranking crony jobs in my new regime"

Wait a minute! You're supposed to be DIFFERENT from the current system!

"Meet the New Boss,

The same as the Old Boss..."

You're now on the new order's watch list, Packsaddle.

I thought of another thing I would change. Thanks AZMike for reminding me. I would add pre-requisite merit badges as some of the requirements. for example, Wilderness Survival should have Camping MB as a requirement. If done right, this is an advanced merit badge and (along with my other ideas) should not be done in a group setting at summer camp with a 16 year old signing off on it. Other MB's should also have similar pre-requisites.

Also in response to the response to my earlier post, while some MBs might be able to be done in groups, the vast reality is those which are done like this are far inferior. Also, while some MB's might be "good for first years", I still disagree. By allowing this, it removes the focus on the basic scouting outdoor skills enumerated in the T-1st class requirements.

Based on a resurrected thread, I would also like to see the skill awards, or some version brought back. these could be used as pre-requisites for the MB's too.

Obviously my gripe is the checklist mentality and the advancement as fast as possible without really knowing or applying skills. I like the original intent of the BSA (not the current values, citizen thingy)... To have boys learn to do things for themselves.

If none of my ideas are good enough, scrap them and the current books and go back to the 1911 Handbook.