Webelos transition is nuts

I don't know what version of the changes you reviewed. When I made this post in May there was not an option for the Webelos to continue on the requirements they started with. As of July 24th they have had a change of heart and are allowing the Webelos the choice. They heard a lot of flak about it including a change.org petition someone started in the comments over on Bryan. Don't know if that made a difference. I don't have a problem with changing the program, it needs it. Except some for some poorly worded religious requirements and I am not sure Webelos is really an 18 month program anymore. I think having some time with the troop on shorter campouts is good before summer camp.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO, a scout joining in 5th grade shouldn;t earn his AOL. AOL is something on top of Webelos not separate. This separation is the biggest problem I have with the new system.

You are right since I know the current Webelos and AoL it is pretty easy for me to skim the new program and compare in my mind. High level (hope this helps) -cast iron - is most of the old fitness

King,

I was aware of the earlier releases, but was looking a the current one when making my post. I can certainly see why people would be upset if those already working towards Webelo or AOL had to switch to the new requirements in mid-stream.

Keep in mind AOL and Webelo were both a combined 12 month program not that many years ago. It's also important to recall the entire Cub program was once a three year program, in which you had to earn Bobcat, Wolf, and Bear, before working on Webelo, and you had to earn Webelo before beginning work on the AOL. All the ranks, including AOL, are very possible under the new plan.

I'm also concerned about some of the "Duty of God" wording, but I'm sure a finial polish is in the works.

It's also important to keep things in perspective, advancement is one method of scouting, and not the purpose of scouting, and neither one of aims of scouting, nor it's purpose. Ranks are the carrot held in front of the horse to keep it moving at a good pace in the correct direction.

It's been a decade since I was involved in Cubs, so pardon me if I don't take the time to drill into this. But did I understand these changes include an earlier cross-over date that the late-winter time frame many of us are accustomed to?

UPDATE ON WEBELOS TRANSITION ( yes I'm shouting with joy!!!!!!!!)

Someone at national has finally gotten it right!

National is now allowing Webelos who get their Webelos Badge before June 1, 2015 to continue using the current requirements, and book, to get the Arrow or Light,

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2014/07/07/webelos-arrow-light-transition-gets-second-option/

UPDATE ON WEBELOS TRANSITION ( yes I'm shouting with joy!!!!!!!!)

Someone at national has finally gotten it right!

National is now allowing Webelos who get their Webelos Badge before June 1, 2015 to continue using the current requirements, and book, to get the Arrow or Light,

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2014/07/07/webelos-arrow-light-transition-gets-second-option/

Yep, although the question will be how long will we be able to get the pins? Will we need to buy them all in May for the rest of the program?

UPDATE ON WEBELOS TRANSITION ( yes I'm shouting with joy!!!!!!!!) Someone at national has finally gotten it right! National is now allowing Webelos who get their Webelos Badge before June 1' date=' 2015 to continue using the current requirements, and book, to get the Arrow or Light, http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2014/07/07/webelos-arrow-light-transition-gets-second-option/[/quote'] Dude, I appreciate your enthusiasm but didn't I say the exact same thing on post #46? This is old news. Took them about two weeks to figure out they were being pinheads about it. To be fair time will tell what route our den will take. Maybe the new requirements will be a better fit.
  • Upvote 1

Only 5? lol

Some-how, we've managed to finish 10 in 2 months. (2 summer camps and a dad who knows how to read the book and take pictures of events tends to help)

Webelos is a simple program...and there's no need to be 2 years.... but glad they are letting us finish what we started.

Only 5? lol

Some-how, we've managed to finish 10 in 2 months. (2 summer camps and a dad who knows how to read the book and take pictures of events tends to help)

Webelos is a simple program...and there's no need to be 2 years.... but glad they are letting us finish what we started.

Nice, We did two camps this year. One led them through a lot of Webelos requirements, the other was soley based on treating them like boy scouts so they get that experience. I promise I'll try hard to push him to get all 20 by next spring :-)

Don't know how many activity badges were earned at my day camp, but I know they got Readyman (I got the CPR mannaquins and AED and oldest son, a Boy Scout was one of the numerous "victims" that they encountered on their "First Aid Hike" the second day) and either completions or partials in a few more. At the end of camp, the past 2 years we've had troops sponsor a Webelos Overnighter, so all of Outdoorsman can be earned if you attend. Plus the kids love their reward for doing fire safety: hot sparks :)

But we do our day camp a little differently. 1/2 the day Webelos in "Webelos Woods" working on activity badges, and 1/2 the day doing shooting sports and fishing. We went to that format when we got lots of complaints from the Webelos saying they were tired of the "little kid stuff" and wanted a challenge. We had a WDL who is also an ASM come up with the program, using input from his son and the surveys we took to come up with the program.

Scheduling is a pain, but we got it worked out now.