Webelos transition is nuts

So they have to do Citizen again and buy a new book? Nice. That's the way to keep these boys interested in the program. At least they can use three elective badges earned 1st year towards the 3 Adventure Electives. We will see what it looks like when they roll the whole thing out, but I wonder how many DLs revolt and and just use the old requirements.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO, a scout joining in 5th grade shouldn;t earn his AOL. AOL is something on top of Webelos not separate. This separation is the biggest problem I have with the new system.

You are right since I know the current Webelos and AoL it is pretty easy for me to skim the new program and compare in my mind. High level (hope this helps) -cast iron - is most of the old fitness

How do you figure they have to do Citizen again?

Cubs are required to purchase a new handbook each year now. With the split between the Webelos and Arrow of light programs, they effectively become two different levels. Two completely separate awards. Unfortunately that means the 2nd year Webelos after June 1, 2015, will not have the option of using the old program requirements for AOL, and will have to purchase a new Webelos book to get their new Arrow of Light requirements.

Source: http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/programupdates.aspx Scout nut, "building a better world" for AOL seems an awful lot like the Citizenship badge they will have to earn for the Webelos Badge this fall. Of course we haven't seen the details on the Webelos 1 requirements so maybe they will have a big citizenship requirement as well. The Welooes/AOL book will be one as it is now however June 1, 2015 they will need to purchase a new book.

The transition document clearly states these Bears are not going to be able to finish under the old requirements. This is nuts. Well it looks like they could do Readyman 1st year as an elective and have it count for AOL. I am not going to do Citizenship twice.

After breezing through Cub Program for all of 30 seconds. I don't have a beef yet. Anyone notice the adventure Icons on the right look like beltloops? I think that's where the confounded beads are going. On the belt. A welcome change. Cubs get the shiny stuff instead of dangles. I think it will work.

I already talked to one Cubmaster who is going to turn in the paperwork for the required Arrow of Light Activity Badges under the current program prior to the deadline so that "Officially" they only have the 6 month time limit to wait. Unofficially, he will be hold onto them until they earn it.

I think it's nuts making them start a new program when they are 2/3rds of the way completed.

I understand why they are doing this. As it stands now 5th grader joining the program has a huge mountain to climb to get AOL and crossover with his new friends. The other interesting thing I noticed is AOL requires a total of 7 adventures. If each one requires 2 den meetings and a field trip cross over is going to be pushed back a month or two or more for school based packs that don't work on advancement over the summer.

I understand why they are doing this. As it stands now 5th grader joining the program has a huge mountain to climb to get AOL and crossover with his new friends. The other interesting thing I noticed is AOL requires a total of 7 adventures. If each one requires 2 den meetings and a field trip cross over is going to be pushed back a month or two or more for school based packs that don't work on advancement over the summer.

IMHO, a scout joining in 5th grade shouldn;t earn his AOL. AOL is something on top of Webelos not separate. This separation is the biggest problem I have with the new system.

• Downvote 1
I already talked to one Cubmaster who is going to turn in the paperwork for the required Arrow of Light Activity Badges under the current program prior to the deadline so that "Officially" they only have the 6 month time limit to wait. Unofficially' date=' he will be hold onto them until they earn it. I think it's nuts making them start a new program when they are 2/3rds of the way completed.[/quote'] I may have to do this or I've thought of crossing over early. I have 2/3 (I only had 3 Bears this year) of my den that are older due to repeating a grade in school. Most will be 11 next year and if they were to cross over in may they would fulfill the 6 month AOL requirement, but I don't want to have to cram that much stuff in such a little time frame. Originally I read we would have the option of finishing out with the old program and I hope there is enough backlash that this is allowed.

Carter,

AOL is , repeat IS, doable in 9 months. That's how it was done back in the day, and how LDS units still do it. You are busting your butt though ;) Heck I completed the last requirement 1 day before my 11th birthday.

I know that with day camp and summer activities the pack did, 90+% of my son's den had everything completed for AOL by the end of the school year. They just needed to wait until December 1st to meet the time requirement, and be able to Crossover. They killed time trying to earn all 20 activity badges.