I wish they could have done something to better promote diversity. Perhaps a group of Cub Scouts of different races/abilities (perhaps one in a wheelchair) each with their own area of specialization. 1 could do the 'talking' about sports, a different one for nutrition, etc. Use recent baby name popularity charts by cultural heritage to choose the names. Akela was always to be the leader, so naming the kid Akela, wouldn't be appropriate. I do think using the animal cartoons is deemed a bit babyish by our bears and even some of our wolves.

I think the story goes something like this. Ethan did not practice good camping skills and left food out. Akela terrorized the Scout Ranch and he had to be put down. This saddened Ethan greatly and he was determined to become the Best Scout Ever. Unfortunately his pack could not afford the new belt loops, so that is why he is not wearing any.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
I think the story goes something like this. Ethan did not practice good camping skills and left food out. Akela terrorized the Scout Ranch and he had to be put down. This saddened Ethan greatly and he was determined to become the Best Scout Ever. Unfortunately his pack could not afford the new belt loops' date=' so that is why he is not wearing any.[/quote']

OMG, that is hilarious. Great story for around the campfire! :)

I think the story goes something like this. Ethan did not practice good camping skills and left food out. Akela terrorized the Scout Ranch and he had to be put down. This saddened Ethan greatly and he was determined to become the Best Scout Ever. Unfortunately his pack could not afford the new belt loops' date=' so that is why he is not wearing any.[/quote']

HAA!

I wish they could have done something to better promote diversity. Perhaps a group of Cub Scouts of different races/abilities (perhaps one in a wheelchair) each with their own area of specialization. 1 could do the 'talking' about sports' date=' a different one for nutrition, etc. Use recent baby name popularity charts by cultural heritage to choose the names. Akela was Talways to be the leader, so naming the kid Akela, wouldn't be appropriate. I do think using the animal cartoons is deemed a bit babyish by our bears and even some of our wolves. [/quote'] Eventually Ethan will come out of the closet. That is part of the Master Plan. BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This avatar is both good and not so. I bemoan the loss of the Junglebook reference. Kids even today need the literary reference, the ability to make the comparison, Wolf Leader= Cub Leader. Even my wife liked being referred to as Bagherra, if I was Akela. No more BALOO, no Shere Khan (for tigers?) . Can we still refer to Kipling's "If" ( not considering Kipling's politics or chauvinism)?

The loss of a "good" fantasy life (growing up in the Jungle with wolves for parents? How cool is that?) vs all the dreck offered our kids today.

I see Ethan as BSA trying to give Cubs (if they read?) a "friend" rather than a "role model" adult. Would a Cub prefer a comic book character to a adult showing how to tie a knot or pointing to a raccoon track?

What is BSA really doing here? Better yet, what is the result desired? I see the old Cub books etc. as a means for parents/uncles/aunts to connect with the Cub . What is Ethan's purpose, really? Rather than Ethan showing the Cub "The Scouting Trail" ( I think that is the idea), isn't it better if the mom or dad sits down with the Cub and shares the Trail .....

Ultimately, it's still up to the local folks to make Cub Scouting a worthy alternative to the "rest of the world". The Cub's Den should still be ideally his "gang".