Well after visiting 5 different troops and camping with 3 of them (one a disaster) my son finally picked a troop. they recently picked up another entire troop when their CO dropped them and went from 20 scouts to 50 since January. Boy lead, to a degree and troop focused. The incoming SM says he wants it to get more patrol focused and truly boy lead. We'll see.

I wasn't overly impressed with the adult leaders but the Scouts impressed me.

• Upvote 1

You and your son certainly did your homework. That troop is going to experience some major growing pains with that big jump in membership in such a short time. They are going to need your help on the Committee, I'm sure.

You and your son certainly did your homework. That troop is going to experience some major growing pains with that big jump in membership in such a short time. They are going to need your help on the Committee' date=' I'm sure.[/quote']

Yeah, he just didn't find one he liked, he had some pretty tough standards. I'm signed up for the committee, not sure as what just yet, and after I'm done with the Web II's next year I'll be signing on as a ASM. This troop seems to have a good idea on where they want to go so I'm encouraged.

Evidently this troop has traditionally been more adult led but when they picked up all the extra Scouts from the other CO, those boys were boy lead and have really been pushing that since they came over.

Renax,

Not trying to be a pessimist, but I hope the SM and other adults listen to the scouts and let them go at it. Will it be messy, yep. Will the scouts grow, OH HECK YEAH! :) And it is the best way to keep Scouts in the movement. One of the signs of a good troop IMHO is how many 15-17 years olds are still in the troop. Another good sign is how many 18-20 y.o. ASMs they have active, when they are available.

Unfortunately I've seen one boy led troop change into an adult led one when a new SM took over, and a new batch of parents came aboard. They would not listen to the boys, or other adults who have been involved with the troop or were their commissioner for that matter, and they are hemorrhaging scouts now. Hate to say it, but if things don't change in the very near future, I see the troop folding. They are losing scouts, and the leaders from their feeder pack do not like how the troop is operating. They are already looking at other troops.