Scout activities on three day weekends

Scout activities on three day weekends  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Generally for three day weekends (Columbus Day, Veterans' Day, Memorial Day,...), we plan scout activities

• No different than other weekends
    • Avoid, these are family getaway weekends
    • Usually a one day activity (hike, parade, community service) with those scouts around

We tend to avoid the three day weekends. Both the scouts and leaders need some family time away from Scouting once in a while. Also, man yof the campgrounds are overcrowded on these weekends.

Previous troop only went out Friday-Sunday leaving Sunday evening and Monday for family.

Current troop only has activities on Memorial Day am at parade/cemetery and then regular meeting in the evening.

Not everyone gets national holidays off either.

Stosh

We generally didn't do three-day weekend campouts when the Troop was smaller because we just didn't have critical mass. My view is that we should start considering them, as they give us a chance to travel a little farther to campsites, which brings into play a lot of really cool areas.

We look for 3 day weekend, so we have time to go into Ontario. We are going to the Bruce Peninsula this weekend, and it is 300 miles for us (from Michigan). It is not a holiday in Canada, and the campgrounds are not crowded there. Our main problem is going through customs, when we return on Monday - it takes a least an hour.

Even though everyone can not go, we always find, that Ontario is worth the trip! We try to go, every two - three years.

We do a trip each Memorial Day and leave the rest alone. We're off to the New River for Whitewater Friday.

Hey T-185, we do the Bruce Peninsula every other Memorial Day, beautiful. Do you make the trip in one evening? We usually stop at Camp Atawandaron on Friday.

~~Hey T-185, we do the Bruce Peninsula every other Memorial Day, beautiful. Do you make the trip in one evening? We usually stop at Camp Atawandaron on Friday.

Hoping not to steal this threat: Years ago, Camp Atawandaron had a Can/Am Campout. My son (who is 38 now) attended for two years, and really enjoy the scouts from Ontario. One year, they would give the troop a nice campsite, the next, a poor one (low area with lots of bugs). Our troop was due to get the poor campsite, the year I finally talked them into going to the Bruce. We have been going to the Bruce since then.

The 1st yr. we drove up to the Bruce, on Friday evening. We stayed in a group site at Stable Fall Provincial Park, at the base of the Peninsula. This was a mistake, since it was only another hour drive to the Bruce National Park. Since then, we drive straight to the park, and set up for 3 nights.

Now days, most of our schools system, give the scouts, Friday and Monday off. So we leave on Friday morning, and set up the tents, for anyone coming up after work. I marked the empty tents, with white cloths, so when the late group arrive (around midnight), they do not have to wake everyone up! The early group, has time to get out to the Bruce Trail, and see the grotto, etc. that Friday evening.

From the other side of the pond.... this varies depending on the group and what the demographic is like.

My current group is pretty wealthy so long weekends tend to see most of them going away on family trips so we tend to avoid trips these weekends as the turn out is poor.

My former group, near Newcastle, a much less wealthy part of the UK, the families were generally less well off so we could plan trips for whenever we wanted, including long weekends and generally get a good turnout.

In the fall we go backpacking on the Teacher work day in early October, we leave thursday night and get back Sunday afternoon.

Holiday weekends Memorial day, Labor day, 4th of July and others, not so much. Many of my unit head to out of town relatives on those weekends