Picking a pack

I contacted the two Cub Scout packs that were nearest to me (we don't live in town) asking for information about signing my son up after June 1st. I haven't heard back from anyone. I looked up the phone number today for the district that serves my area and plan to call them in the next few days. I was wondering if it's allowed, and if it is allowed if it's a good idea, to join a pack that isn't the most local to me. I live in the country and in my surrounding area, within about half an hour drive there are about 5-6 packs. Some of them appear to be much more active than others. My husband thinks we should just contact the pack that looks most interesting and go from there. The thing is, the two packs that look like they are more active are the two geographically farthest from my home. I told my son to ask his friends in 1st grade if they were involved in Cub Scouts, and it seems that none are. He has also asked a couple of his friends who are in Kindergarten with him if they were interested in scouts, and he said none of them are. I don't know how accurate that info is coming from a 6.5yo, but there you have it. Also, concerning the drive, it is normal for us to drive 30-45 minutes, so the commute isn't a concern.

Definitely go where your boy wants to go and have the most fun! There's no rule you HAVE to go to a certain Pack. You get to pick.

For 15 years I drove 40 miles to a Boy Scout unit that I liked as ASM. I switched to a new troop I've just stared and now only have to drive about 20 miles. :) And two of my 6 boys live within 1 mile of me and make the trip each week as well.

Stosh

• Upvote 1

Other factors that need to be taken into consideration is when the pack and dens meet. Some dens might might meet right after school and not be a good fit for you given the distance. How active a program the pack has is important, but also look at the leadership, not just the Cunbmaster but also the committee. Is it more than just a couple of den leaders ? A strong involved committee is usually the sign of a good Pack. I will get chided for this but also ask if the Pack has earned the Journey To Excellence Award each year and at what level (bronze, silver, gold). It can be one of many indicators of a good pack.

• Downvote 1