Train Train Train train <rant>

well trained, thats what we are, why even crew members have to be trained My COR has to be trained (not ypt either) Crew members have to be trained ilsc, etc so many hoops, so many fingers in the pie, yes, some training is required, but some of it borders on sillyness, rules so vague it will take a lawsuit to straighten out. Way too many helecopters out there, you cant escape them anymore. more training, more time wasted, sorry, cant go, have training to go to. You want to do what? sorry, have to have training, Take a class on what to do if you're not trained enough. Yes, we take personal checks

What training do you feel is a waste of time ? Specifically. In the last year I have taken pioneering kit' date=' climbing and cope. Would send my kid out on any of those activities with some yahoo that didn't think he needed training.[/quote'] ,, you must live in one of those areas where scouting is run for the scouts benefit, and not to feed the egos of the few self-aggrandizing individuals common here.
  • Upvote 1
... pioneering kit ... Would [not] send my kid out on any of those activities with some yahoo that didn't think he needed training.

Wait, what? Nobody trained for it taught me pioneering! I got the MB pamphlet read it, and started building tripods. Then went to camp and kept at it.

I think you just made baggss point.

That said, for the things I need to maintain certification (BSA Guard, Wilderness First Aid) plus things I'm told I need (YPT, Risk Zone, etc ...) I need to commit about 30 hours a year.

So ... if ILSC does not get done, I'm not gonna worry about it.

• Upvote 1

I'm sensing a trend in what @baggss and @Scouter99 (in my thread on Trainer's Edge) are saying about training as it relates to a ruling hierarchy of good ol' boyz. It's too bad that some Councils/Districts get mired in this attitude that Scouting isn't for Scouts...

@baggss, I would like to reiterate @King Ding Dong's question about specific training sessions that you consider a waste of time. Some training is required for a reason; on the other hand, some training is merely suggested. Personally, I enjoy going to training events with an open mind because I might learn something. Then again I might be completely dissatisfied with the course. I'm just curious what brought you to this particular rant. :cool:

While no longer certified as an EMT-A at the national level, I find it rather strange I would have to take Wilderness First Aid to take my boys into the back country. After all, shouldn't the boys know first aid or was that just pencil whipping for requirements/MB? While I'm not going to promote myself as a know it all, I have had many experiences in emergency trauma that were far worse than any worse case scenario in the back country. At least the training will help when deciding whether this situation is a rescue or a recovery and whether or not one needs to tell the boys to run or walk for help.

Stosh

While I'm not going to promote myself as a know it all

Stosh

In my Troop we have an active Ski Patrol trainer/instructor who is exempted from the Wilderness First Aid training. He has said time and time again that after the ski season, the Patrol members are in need of refreshers. It never hurts to go over the basics from time to time.

My local camp has a hut with a fairly extensive pioneering kit that a unit can rent for $10 for the day. Precut lengths of rope, spars, stakes, stake puller, block and tackles. etc. It seems perfectly reasonable they want you trained on the proper use of this equipment. Especially how to handle and store it so it is not destroyed and ready to go for the next group.

In my Troop we have an active Ski Patrol trainer/instructor who is exempted from the Wilderness First Aid training. He has said time and time again that after the ski season, the Patrol members are in need of refreshers. It never hurts to go over the basics from time to time.

That's why I'm still certified as a Red Cross Adult First Aid/CPR/AED. But of course that doesn't count for the Wilderness First Aid.

Stosh

I work with a Crew and in the last 16 mos. we had Council put on a day (sic hours?) of training for adults with no venturing training once and a day-and-a-half training for leaders(venturers) once. Paid staff have zip to do with it. What are "they" doin' to you?