Folding of the American Flag

Here is a neat story (perhaps it's already been shared) that I just came across.

http://abc7news.com/archive/9441107/

How much time do your units spend talking about basic flag history, handling, etiquette, etc? I've witnessed countless flag ceremonies and they are all a bit different. However, the focus is always on the solemnity of the action. Do you bring an American flag on camping trips? I have always thought it would be neat for one of the Scouts to lash a flagpole as a "useful camp gadget" but it never occurs to them. Perhaps I'll just do it next time....;)

WOW that's crazy.. I just saw this today as well.

Our Flag is ALWAYS at out camp outs

I focus on flags and flag ceremony's ALOT because I am Patriotic.

We were given the opportunity last week to start the summer games at our local 1st grade school

WOW that's crazy.. I just saw this today as well.

Our Flag is ALWAYS at out camp outs

I focus on flags and flag ceremony's ALOT because I am Patriotic.

We were given the opportunity last week to start the summer games at our local 1st grade school

UGH UGH UGH why cant I post PICS !!!!

We bring a flag.

We have two nine foot closet poles, overlap them about 3 feet and use round lashings. Use two half hitches and tautlines on three guylines attached above the lashings (so the ropes don't slide down the poles). It can be set up with as little as two scouts (maybe even one), but works quickest with four. (add an eye screw, another rope, carbiners and flags, and you have a nifty flagpole).

When done properly I've seen ours withstand 15-20 mph wind gusts.

It is a fantastic team building activity, as the scouts really need to communicate and work together to get the pole standing up straight. We take it with us when space (in vehicles and campsites) allow.

Currently SM and I are racking our brains as to how to make it smaller (as in packing light, not shorter). Anyone have any ideas?

one of our ASM's fabed up something out of PVC. I think it was 2inch schedule 40 stuff. He painted it and it looked a lot better than if left raw.

I thought it might be too flimsy when he showed it too me, but it's not very tall and works well enough

Might be lighter than closet dowels as koolaidmad described..... but I'm thinking not.

LeCastor,

Great story. A certain crotchety retired Marine we both knew would have liked that story. Only time I've ever see him come close to crying was when he was working with some Cubs and flag etiquette.

Now, summer camp staff, well, he would have tore us a new one!

• Upvote 1

Yes the story was already shared, but it is still worth retelling.

I used to drive around a lot when I was "fully" employed, and when I saw a USflag in front of a library or business, I would drop off my Scout business card and tell them when the flag is worn and torn and no longer a worthy symbol of our nation, give me a call and I will come by, pick it up and make sure it gets a proper "retirement" ceremony. **Wow, you mean the Scouts do that? ** What do you mean "retirement"? **We always wondered if it was ok to just wrap it up and put it gently in the trash... Even now, years later, I still get calls from these same people who before might not have known about such things. Some institutions, it seems, send the flag BACK to the company they bought it from when they order anew one, I think that's ok. But I get ALOT of flags for camporees and Webelos Weekends.....

We made one at our last pack out of galvanized tubing. It was in 3 pieces and around 20 some feet when put together. It had the pully system to raise and lower the flag. It went to every outdoor activity. We built it when our scouts were (wolfs?) and they had to do outdoor flag ceromonies. We figured if we built one the pack would always have it.

**Wow' date=' you mean the Scouts do that? ** What do you mean "retirement"? **We always wondered if it was ok to just wrap it up and put it gently in the trash... [/quote']

it always surprises me as well

There are a lot of myths about flag retirement as well. One popular one is that if the flag touches the ground you have to burn it. Nope, just clean it! Another one is that they must be folded into the triangular shape. That is a military tradition that has carried over to Scouting and many other groups. Any way you fold it is fine. Ever order a flag from your senator or congressman? It arrives in a square box, folded square.