Patch trading event for Cub Scout pack?

Hi all, just wondering if any packs/troops have any kind of event for trading patches.

The pack tends to accumulate extra patches from events from overbuying or people not showing up, etc. I was wondering what to do with them, and thought maybe we could somehow distribute them to the boys and encourage them to start trading patches. Our council had a patch "Trade-O-Ree" that was well attended by wheelers/dealers from all over the country. My son really liked trading/buying patches and displays them in a binder.

This ties in with the Collecting belt loop/pin as well.

Anybody have experience or ideas?

For my Scoutmaster's Minute a few weeks ago I brought in a patch from a camporee I attended as a youth and told how the memories of that patch help relate what Scouting means to me. I then encouraged the Scouts to bring a patch a few weeks later to talk about the Scouting memories attached to that particular patch. A few Scouts participated but it was mainly the Old Goats who talked about how Scouting changed their lives for the better. In the long run I think it will still make an impression on the Boy Scouts who didn't think to bring in a patch.

As for trading at the Cub level, I would worry about hurt feelings. At the Boy Scout level I think it would be more feasible provided that all participants were reminded to follow the Scout Oath and Law while trading. ;) It might make more sense to have the Cubs show off their binders to the group and talk about their favorites.

LeCastor

Green Bar Bill used to have a "patch bowl" that he would have on the coffee table and anyone who came to visit him could reach in and take a few patches. You might put some in a fish bowl and have it be a special honor to let some Cubs reach in and grab a patch or two if they show Scout Spirit.

You can turn in unused patches that are sold via the Scout Store back to the Scout Store. They will issue you a credit on a gift card. I turned in $300 worth. I heard later there was a lady who came in and turned in $800.

I did it after being a CM for 4 years. I had a lot of patches...;)

I've seen them used in a "Patch Grab". Kind of like a lottery, stick a note/mark on the back of a patch, dump a bunch into a bowl, and have each boy grab one out of the bowl to win the "big" prize.

Something that seems to draw attention is to mount representatives of pack or troop events on a board for meeting place display. Of course, the history of the unit is enhanced should you be fortunate enough to have some longevity, but even a short period is of interest. Our troop is over ninety years old, and we have met the same place since 1928; our meeting rooms are small museums. But you have to start someplace if history is of importance. The rest, use one or more of the the ideas noted already; cubs tend to like the patches more than scouts, other than the older OA collectors. We do not have OA stuff on the boards though.

You can turn in unused patches that are sold via the Scout Store back to the Scout Store. They will issue you a credit on a gift card. I turned in $300 worth. I heard later there was a lady who came in and turned in $800.

I did it after being a CM for 4 years. I had a lot of patches...;)

That's a good idea, but these all have the year on them, so the stores will not take those back.

Something that seems to draw attention is to mount representatives of pack or troop events on a board for meeting place display. Of course' date=' the history of the unit is enhanced should you be fortunate enough to have some longevity, but even a short period is of interest. Our troop is over ninety years old, and we have met the same place since 1928; our meeting rooms are small museums. But you have to start someplace if history is of importance. The rest, use one or more of the the ideas noted already; cubs tend to like the patches more than scouts, other than the older OA collectors. We do not have OA stuff on the boards though.[/quote']

This is a great idea! That will get rid of at least a few patches. :)

Cub Scouting is a great place to get a Scouter interested in Patch Trading....

However Only Draw Back I see is that most Cub Scouts don't travel enough to have a Wide Selection to Trade..

Who wants to Trade for their Own Council's CSP

None are Old enough to be Members of OA

They all attend the Same Cub Events...

Most Parents don't get online and Trade or Buy Extra Patches to give to Youths

Most Council Stores don't carry Non Council related event Patches..

Recently I was at the National Scouting Museum, I carried Extra Patches from My Council and with Permission I gave some of the patches to Cub Scouts at the Museum. Museum Staff and Parents were present when I did...

Our council recently had a Spring Fun Day in a neighboring district. They were selling old patches for 3/$1. My son picked up a few and I bought him a few. Doesn't take long before you have quite a few patches!

"""Patches? We ain't got no patches! We don't need no patches ! I don't have to show you any steenkin 'patches!""

Apologies to John Huston.... I like the idea of organizing a District or Council wide event. Make the effort and find the venue to let lots of Cubs and BoyScouts get the patch fever. Sell the multiples, trade the extras, get the ones you missed.