Should we force Scouts to listen to Old Goat music ?

I was more of a Cure, New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, DM, Thrill Kill Cult, REM, OMD kid myself so I don't know the names of all of them. There was some Simple Minds, Poison, Rage Against the Machine, Charlie Daniels (that devil/fiddle song), Chili Peppers. My wife is a music junkie as well, she has worked in radio for 25 years. Trouser Press Record Guide was on the nightstand until smartphones came along. My boys are not going to be able to slip anything past her. It was funny because before half the songs he had to preface it with "next we are going to play xxxxxx, but with out the bad words". :)

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once again, fun is sapped out of the program because of adult programming and adult rules. If my boys want to head back to camp because the camporee program is bad, then whether I like the program or

Yeah, this is why camporees suck. My suggestion to our district activities committee was a gathering of district SPLs and let them come up with the program. I was basically called a communist and drop

I notice with the OA stuff the boy leaders pick the music so it is at least (current) top 40.   I used to listen to Punk, I started to introduce some of it to my sons before realizing how filthy it

Who is out of line here ?

In my opinion both the scouts and the camp master were out of line.

The scouts should have been courteous enough to sit through the concert. It wouldn't have killed them. Folks spent time planning the event for better or worse. Boys need to learn the very important lesson that sometimes you do things you don't want to do because it is the right thing to do.

The camp master was out of line for trying to "pull rank" if those were indeed his words. A simple question of where are you guys headed? Does your PL/SPL know where you're going? Don't you think it would be more courteous to stay through the program? would have been appropriate.

• Upvote 1

I think old goat music should be an officially-approved form of child abuse. Seriously, if I really want to torture the boys, I sing to them myself. All they have to do to make it stop is wake up and get moving, lol.

'brau, I'm not sure what you mean by 'really Christian' but if I get your drift, this is one reason this unit stopped attending those services as a unit. Individual boys are free to attend if that's what they choose. Interestingly, given that choice, few ever do.

Seriously' date=' if I really want to torture the boys, I sing to them myself. All they have to do to make it stop is wake up and get moving, lol.[/quote']

Thanks to the last time I sang for the troop, I think from here on out, I will get any gear of mine found at camp returned to me unceremoniously. :confused:

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Scouts riding in my car will listen to David Bowie, Joy Division, Queen, Bauhaus, and various New Wave, and they will like it :)

Seriously, I've had boys choose my car over the cars with DVD players bc of the music.

It is not polite to stand up and walk out during a live performance until there is a break. It disrupts the performance for both the performers and those guests who are enjoying the event.

It's fine to leave between acts in a play, sets in a concert, or any other sort of pause or intermission intended for that purpose.

Anytime we make plans to entertain teenagers, the need for pauses and intermissions should be anticipated.

Bad choice for a scout program element. As SM I constantly gave the PLC grief about this sort of stuff.

Scouting is a game with a purpose. Everything in scouting should be constructed to accomplish a purpose, what was the purpose in the concert? Don't say fun, that's a by-product of an activity, not its purpose.

Did a summer camp in the south. The chaplain had a service which was VERY Christian' date=' if you know what I mean? Our small troop is pretty mixed, especially for our neck of the woods, and many guys got uncomfortable. So we allowed them to go back to camp with two adults. Spoke to the CD later just to let him know.[/quote']

This is a "major" pet peeve of mine. That type of service isn't appropriate for summer camp, of any mixed unit scout gathering. If a unit is all members of the same faith it certainly could, and should, hold a father specific service, but beyond that everything should be designed so that anyone, regardless of faith, will be comfortable.

This is a "major" pet peeve of mine. That type of service isn't appropriate for summer camp' date=' of any mixed unit scout gathering. If a unit is all members of the same faith it certainly could, and should, hold a father specific service, but beyond that everything should be designed so that anyone, regardless of faith, will be comfortable.[/quote'] We discussed that issue here recently and the conclusion seems to be that is impossible.
We discussed that issue here recently and the conclusion seems to be that is impossible.

Really hard, at the least. We had four - what shall I call them? - non theist participants at NYLT this year (Jains and Buddhists) and it lengthened the time that had be devoted to come up with a program that was "spiritual" but not offernsive to the theists.

A rock concert at a Camporee? I can just hear my troop’s PLC meeting now…

Scoutmaster: OK guys there’s a big council wide camporee coming up and they are even going to have a rock concert as one of the "Big Events".

(Confused looks around the room)

SPL: All those who want to go backpacking on the AT instead raise your hand

(a unanimous vote to go backpacking)