Leave No Trace award is gone?

Hi all,

I have a Bear den who has been working on the LNT award this year. So far, 3/8 have finished and been awarded the patch. Two more are very close and can finish this month, but our advancement coordinator said the patch is no longer sold. Is there any way to procure these? I haven't checked to see if the local Scout shops cleared them out or not. Ebay turned up nothing.

How disappointing for a boy to work on an achievement and then find out it was discontinued!

I see that the newer Outdoor Ethics Award has arrived, but the requirements are totally different. Thoughts?

By the way, can anybody find a link about this lawsuit? It seems very difficult to find a news story about it. I follow the scout websites and never saw any mention that LNT was going away. I would love to see the official announcement.

LNT is still around. However, the patches are not available anymore. The whole Cubscout Program will be changing in 2015.

I like the OE requirements. You will see that LNT is still needed. Which, they are just incorporated into them.

What lawsuit are you talking about?

What lawsuit are you talking about?

I was told by two separate people (including a scout shop worker) that BSA was sued because they infringed on the LNT copyright, which is why they yanked the patches from the stores. No idea if that's true or not.

There has been no lawsuit between the Center for Outdoor Ethics (the LNT people) and the BSA. A quick Google shows that.

The BSA decided to broaden their approach to outdoor ethics and pulled all those efforts under the Outdoor Ethics banner. These include LNT, Tread Lightly (about motorized recreation), the Land Ethic (cf. Aldo Leopold), and the BSA's Outdoor Code. Just a glance through the reorganized Outdoor Ethics awards shows that LNT continues to play a large role in how the BSA approaches the subject.

For more info from the horse's mouth (so to speak):

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/outdoorprogram/outdoorethics.aspx

There has been no lawsuit between the Center for Outdoor Ethics (the LNT people) and the BSA. A quick Google shows that.

The BSA decided to broaden their approach to outdoor ethics and pulled all those efforts under the Outdoor Ethics banner. These include LNT, Tread Lightly (about motorized recreation), the Land Ethic (cf. Aldo Leopold), and the BSA's Outdoor Code. Just a glance through the reorganized Outdoor Ethics awards shows that LNT continues to play a large role in how the BSA approaches the subject.

For more info from the horse's mouth (so to speak):

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/outdoorprogram/outdoorethics.aspx

Thanks!

ANd now the Cub Scout award requires viewing/completing TWO repetitive activities on two different websites. Utter crap (worse than the "Yet Another Poster Project" that beltloops became).

ANd now the Cub Scout award requires viewing/completing TWO repetitive activities on two different websites. Utter crap (worse than the "Yet Another Poster Project" that beltloops became).

Okay, I went through these computer exercises and they do provide valuable information. I plan to show them to my den at a meeting where it's too rainy or too cold to go outside.

I like the new patch for the Outdoor Ethics Awareness Award. I'm not sure that many will be interested in the name tag for the Action Award, however. A name tag?? The requirements for the Action Award are similar to the old LNT award, for what it's worth.