I was told today that our current Cubmaster has to step down as he has to register for college classes for his job and cannot dedicate the time needed. As Assistant Cubmaster I was asked if I would be willing to step up. I willingly accepted! Let me give you a little background info. I attended this pack as a kid from wolves through Webelos, and subsequently the boy scout troop until I aged out. Other than this current year being a tiger cub leader for my sons den, I have been out of scouting for close to 15 years. Have I gotten myself too deep? Or do you think I should have a general grasp on the system?

I know its kind of a loaded question, but I'd like to hear your guys' advice! Thanks in Advance

D

Until the thread gets relocated, allow me to congratulate you and say WOO HOO!

Take the Cub master training. Take BALOO training, and take some others with you (bonding experience). Make sure you have everyones email and address. Hold your Pack Leadership meetings in a local caffeinated venue, not the church basement (wonderful tho it may be). Get the Den Leaders into your confidence and make sure THEY are connected and THEY have fun. Plan your Pack meetings around the BSA monthly theme and GO to the RoundTable (or have your trusted Assistant go) to pick up ideas and inspiration. Meet thereby like minded folks and gain confidence "You Are Not Alone".

Get well acquainted with your Committee Chair and COR....Make sure your CO is aware of your activities and needs.

Make sure your Pack attends the Day Camp, the Webelos Woods/weekend/world, any Beltloop Universities, etc. Put a parent in charge of each activity, you should not have to do everything (altho you will want to),. Don't be afraid to politely ASK a parent to volunteer (!!)......

You are the hub of the Pack around which alot will rotate, but you are NOT the Pack. Servant Leadership. Be in the background gently reminding and pushing, , but also upfront as ringmaster.

Be prepared for grown up Cubs to accost you in the Safeway and say hello.

Repeat the Cub Scout Mantra : "KISMIF, KISMIF" (keep it simple, make it fun)

Enjoy your time in the well cushioned Cub trenches!

What SSScout said. Get to all the in-person trainings you can. Find and go to the U of Scouting in your area. Take the Den Leaders and Pack Committee with you as well. The more you understand the program the better. What you might not know is Cubscout is changing in 2015. All new books and no Beltloop program. So, understanding the program is a must.

Take BALOO, OWLS and then think about Wood Badge. (Someone was going to say Wood Badge sooner or later).

Get the Journey to Excellence Pack Score Card and start looking at what your weakness is. Go to Roundtable.

Look at the Pack Calendar, District & Council Calendar. Plan what you want to do now. If the old CM has files of his planning, get those.

Also, talk to the Order of the Arrow..ask about their Crossovers. Plan those.

And so who is replacing you as DL ? Or are you like me and doing both.

as of right now, Mr Multiple hat is me. I'm hoping to get somebody to step up next year for wolves so I can concentrate on running the overall program.

Thanks for all the tips guys. A lot of the suggestions I have already been doing so it should be a pretty seamless transition

I was told today that our current Cubmaster has to step down as he has to register for college classes for his job and cannot dedicate the time needed. As Assistant Cubmaster I was asked if I would be willing to step up. I willingly accepted! Let me give you a little background info. I attended this pack as a kid from wolves through Webelos, and subsequently the boy scout troop until I aged out. Other than this current year being a tiger cub leader for my sons den, I have been out of scouting for close to 15 years. Have I gotten myself too deep? Or do you think I should have a general grasp on the system?

I know its kind of a loaded question, but I'd like to hear your guys' advice! Thanks in Advance

D

Get trained in an in-person training, if you haven't already. Get BALOO and OWL and cubmaster specific. The first two so that you know Cub Scout outdoor rules. The third so that you know other Cubmasters.

I have taken all the online training available to me already (as an anticipation to step up as CM, just didnt' realize it was going to be this fast :) ). I attended a University of Scouting last fall. my focus right now will be the BALOO and OWL stuff.

I have taken all the online training available to me already (as an anticipation to step up as CM' date=' just didnt' realize it was going to be this fast :) ). I attended a University of Scouting last fall. my focus right now will be the BALOO and OWL stuff.[/quote']

I think you should do BALOO and OWL, but don't discount "live" CM training. Not so much for the material or the trained patch, but for resources--i.e. experienced Cubmasters and district folks.

I think you should do BALOO and OWL, but don't discount "live" CM training. Not so much for the material or the trained patch, but for resources--i.e. experienced Cubmasters and district folks.

Great advice I think, but that's just theory on my part.....when I started taking on more as ACM/CM.... I signed up for "live training" thinking that I could certainly benefit from those things. I was already fully "trained" from the online stuff, and have done more reading that most of our leaders..... and of course spend time here. I was looking forward to the group discussions and questions. Showed up, and there myself, and another scouter fully trained with several years experience, but taking on a new role as pack trainer. exactly two students.

I think there were 3 instructors, so the ratio was great! Unfortunately, they had "stick-to-the-script-itis" so I wasn't able to really benefit much from it.

Based on my limited experience..... the only thing I can add is to keep reminding yourself to keep it fun..... get the boys up out of their chairs at the pack meetings with skits, games, activities....... and talk to the boys, not to the parents.

Oh, and be stingy with your time. I have found that it's easy to take those multiple hats, but as CM you really shouldn't. It'll get to be too much. You really have to lean on the CC, den leaders, committee members, and other parents to do their parts.

BLW thats the reason I have wanted to step up in pack leadership. our pack meetings had been getting a little unorganized. As far as "In Person" training, I will look into as much as I can get. I do know last fall at our Scouting U they offered a cubmaster specific training. Assuming it will be there next year I will most definatley be taking it this year!