Silly question about popcorn....

So I have finally found a use for all the silly popping corn we ended up with at the end of the year. One of my parents "forgot" it was at their house after a show and sell and we missed the return date for full cases. So we paid for and have 3 unopened cases of popping corn. Whatever it's over with, I already did my unhappy dance in the privacy of my own home for no one to hear or feel bad about; onto our plan to recoup the loss. We are a small group and 6 other small groups and ourselves decided to get together since only one of us owns a pinewood derby track, the other of us donated the space for the day, and our group is in charge of running the concessions stand for each group to come through in 2 hour time blocks and have our Pinewood Derby Races.

YAY! We will sell popcorn!!! :) (among other things of course)

Here comes the question, how do I pop it? I am one of those lazy people who tosses the bags in the microwave and the machine weighs it and pops it appropriately. Our school has graciously allowed us to use their machine as long as we clean up after ourselves, but I swear no where on the bag does it say if I need oil or how much oil to cups of kernels to pop together. I Googled it and got nothing. I didn't think I was asking too hard a question so I am hoping one of you fine people will bail me out and tell me how it is done. Make your instructions idiot proof because I apparently need it. :p

Thank you in advance!

I tired that already, when the popcorn days are done at school they use popcorn kits that area pre-measured with the correct amount of kernels, oil and seasoning, you just cut the top off the package and pour it in. Thank you for the response though.

We use the popcorn machine for the same purpose and there is a sign on the side of it near the top with measurements for dry popping corn. I think that I remember that it was three tablespoons per 1/4 cup of corn. Clean up is very easy if you do not add butter and salt until it is out of the bin. Good selling and I bet if you spoke with someone at your council office they would take back unopened cases.

:) If one were to stop and think about it. Heat pops popcorn. I have found that air poppers don't need oil! Duh! But those that do use oil use just enough to cover the bottom of the pan to keep the popped popcorn from sticking and burning on the sides. Otherwise, let the heat do the work, just like an air popper.

I have one of those home hand crank models and put maybe a table spoon of oil in, 1/3 cup of kernels and crank away. I've never tried it, but I'm thinking the microwave stuff has enough oil already in the package to just dump directly into the popper. I'll have to give it a try, but with my crank model, I don't ever buy microwave stuff.

I wouldn't put the microwave stuff in an air popper.

Stosh

Here comes the question, how do I pop it? I am one of those lazy people who tosses the bags in the microwave and the machine weighs it and pops it appropriately. Our school has graciously allowed us to use their machine as long as we clean up after ourselves, but I swear no where on the bag does it say if I need oil or how much oil to cups of kernels to pop together. I Googled it and got nothing. I didn't think I was asking too hard a question so I am hoping one of you fine people will bail me out and tell me how it is done. Make your instructions idiot proof because I apparently need it. :p

Thank you in advance!

Please contact your Council office immediately and get the proper popcorn popping training (3PT); I think it is only a morning class and is good for 2 years, BSA is working on a internet based curriculum pending the next GSS.

• Upvote 2

Summarizing for everyone:

tonkatim: 3 tablespoons oil per 1/4 cup corn (based on memory)

3 tablespoons is almost 1/4 cup, so you're at about a 50/50 ratio there

mozartbrau: 1 tablespoons oil per 1/4 cup corn (derived from 1/4 cup oil to 8oz popcorn)

blake47/Stosh 1 tablespoons per 1/3 cup corn

The ratios mozartbrau and Stosh suggest seem right to me. Try a 1:4 ratio of oil to corn and adjust as necessary.

The ratios mozartbrau and Stosh suggest seem right to me. Try a 1:4 ratio of oil to corn and adjust as necessary.

Gosh I hope so...I was reading the label on my cool table-top theater-style popcorn popper. Hell, even made a batch because this thread made me hungry.

Can we start a margarita thread? Am getting thirsty. ;)