Are any of our midwest Scouters planning on attending the U.S. Grant Pilgrimage in Galena, IL next weekend? If so, let's meet!

They are expecting 2000-3000 scouts and leaders. Always a well organized weekend. Now we just need some good weather for a change!

U.S.Grant lived in Galena from 1855-1861, working at his father in law's store, and then the City of Galena purchased a house and gave it to the Grants in appreciation of his efforts in the Civil War. He lived there from 1865 until his election to the presidency in 1868.

This is the 59th Annual Pilgrimage.

I think your comment on the weather is appropriate. I have been to 2 Grant Pilgrimages. I recall somebody from the sponsoring Council's office telling me that about 90% of the years they have had rain. Great event though.

We will be there and staying at Canyon Camp. I highly recommend staying at the Council Camps as they make the enhance the experience. The highlight one year was when "President Lincoln" walked out of the surrounding darkness and asked to visit our campfire. He did an incredible job and impressed the adults as much as the youth. I suspect he only visits Council Camps. The Council does a nice job with the Pilgrimage and the Scouts enjoy it enough to keep putting it on the schedule. We used to rotate this one with Lincoln Pilgrimage in Springfield Illinois, the Illini which included a football game at University of Illinois and the Circus one at Baraboo Wisconsin.

Speaking of rain, I recall one year have so much water the week before that several campgrounds and venues were closed.

Should be a good time. Feel sorry for the tourists who schedule their visit to Galena for this weekend as they are unaware who they are sharing the City with.

JPS

PS HINT: There are opportunities for advancement available while attending the event. Check the Citizenship requirements.

Returned from a great weekend at the Grant Pilgrimage. Over 4,000 scouts and leaders. Sunny skies at 65 degrees for the parade. Very nice pioneer displays and civil war reenactments. Of course in the Pilgrimage tradition it rained during breakfast on Sunday!