RIP Scout Reat Griffin Underwood

The news says that one of the victims of the Kansas Jewish Community Center was Reat Griffin Underwood, 14 who was a Boy Scout. There is a picture of him with a Life Badge...just there for a tryout and gunned down by a Nazi lover. Makes me sad and angry. Hope they hang the shooter.

Nah. The endless appeals would take too long. This KKK Nazi ought to get along well with the gang population found in most correctional facilities; 3 life sentences in one of them should suffice.

Given the nature of the crime, federal civil rights charges would appear to be in order, conviction for which might merit a trip to the Federal Pen at Leavenworth.

25 years ago I was a graduate student helping a business association in Tampa that was trying to redevelop an area. Across the street from our new HQ was a Nazi white supremacist "church" with many offensive billboards about jews, blacks, catholics, etc. When new business was called I mentioned "should we release a statement that we as an organization do not approve of his message, etc". I almost got fired because "they didn't like to take political positions" (and they had an elderly concentration camp survivor as a member of their board). I stood up and said "You know we fought and won a war because we don't like these things and while you are supposed to love your neighbor IMHO it is still OK to say you hate Nazi's."

I still hate Nazi's.

Here in Kansas City we are all still a bit numb from the shock of Sunday's tragedy. Scouting in these parts is like a large extended family and when there is a loss like this we all feel it deeply.

There is also a lot of shock that such a fellow as this killer was lurking among us. It's not like we are a crime-free metro area by any measure. In fact all types of violent crime seem to be on the rise here, but having a kook like this with his truly demented motives was something we were never expecting.

On behalf of your fellow Scouters here in the Heart of America Council I want to let you know that we appreciate any prayers and encouraging thoughts you can send our way.

WAKWIB, I grew up in an environment that had a few of these guys around. We learned early on to be really careful. Some of my childhood friends grew up into people just like him. They're everywhere. I've run into them in nearly every part of the country. The fact that this guy was 'lurking' should have been rather obvious really, given what I've been reading. I'd be willing to bet that he's not alone in your area either. 'Situational awareness' is the concept that comes to mind here.

My heart goes to the boy's mother and family. I am in awe of the strength they are displaying.

Over 500 uniformed Scouts and leaders attended the memorial service for Reat and his grandfather today.

I think it's somewhat meaningful that the service took place at the Church of the Resurrection; that even in the face of tragedy there is hope through faith in Christ.

In regards to the perp and his ilk here in Missouri, I hope that he will sing to the authorities (he's done so in the past), so that law enforcement can have a greater "situational awareness" of this type of thing.

• Upvote 1