I was listening to a radio show last night on the way home and a lady called in to talk about her two boys that were about to make Eagle. One of her sons is deaf and she mentioned that he was going to be the first deaf Eagle. Not to take anything away from her son accomplishment, because I can see how much harder it would be to make Eagle with such a handicap, but also knowing how hard BSA tries to make make rank advancement possible for those with disablites, I was curious. Has there never been another deaf Eagle?

In 1998 we had a scout in our troop here in California make Eagle who used a hearing aid. I don't know how much hearing loss he had.

In the 50's in Missouri there was a scout troop at the state run school for the deaf at Fulton, Missouri. They came to our summer camp one year when I was on staff. I don't know if that troop is still in business or if any of those boys made eagle, but they sure had plenty of scout spirit. They taught us a lot that week.

One of the best experiences I had as a Scout that really showed me that a given handicap does not have to prevent anything of major importance:

I was the handicrafts director at summer camp when I was 15. An adult who had earned his Eagle several years before, spent a good amount of time in the handicrafts are.

He had been deaf since birth. I didnt' know any sign language, but he and I had several "conversations" on a pad of paper during the course of the week he spent at camp. A lot of people seemed to think they couldn't communicate with him, but I loved talking to the guy on that pad of paper. He had a great sense of humor that would have been my loss had we not started writing on the pad.

DS

Eagle is quite an accomplishment for any Scout. I would be "just as curious" how the troop managed his disability (we don't say disability anymore... he was hearing challenged). I know of a troop that decided not to allow a deaf boy to join just because of the safety aspects of the problem and none of the SM corps were able to deal with that.

"(we don't say disability anymore... he was hearing challenged)."

I'm trusting that this was toungue-in-cheek. All management employees where I used to work have to go to "Sensitivity Awareness Training." During the class that I took, someone took great exception that we offered services for "The deaf and hard of hearing." Well, it turns out that they asked the organizations that aid "people who don't hear too good" and were told that the accepted term was "deaf and hard of hearing."

When the discussion turned to the current term to be used for "handicapped," a fellow stood up and announced that terms like "differently abled" and "physically challenged" were all crap. He waved the took that replace his right hand and announced, "I'm crippled. No two ways about it."

My company works with this population. There are at least three identifiable groups.

The Deaf

The deaf

The hard of hearing

The Deaf (big D and that is how they are referred to) are largely individuals who have been deaf since birth and communicate largely by signing as with American Sign Language. There is a very strong Deaf culture.

The deaf are substantially individuals who are late deafened. They communicate significantly by lip reading and other simulated audio techniques.

The hard of hearing are individuals who have some residual hearing and communicate with assistive audio.

We have an Eagle Scout in our council who is deaf and also is legally blind. A truly neat kid. His Eagle project was to organize and put on a prom for the special needs youth of the Boston school system. He arranged for donations of tuxes, formals, flowers, food, the hall, etc.

So the young man is or isn't the first deaf Eagle Scout. So what? He is an Eagle Scout and he is deaf. That's pretty special.

NeilLup,

Deaf is deaf regardless of when. My son is deaf from birth & is very much ASL. My daughter is deaf from birth & she is very much Signed English. Both read lips & use sign language. They both talk, also and are very understandable. Heather Whitestone (Miss America) became deaf after birth and cimmunicates the same as those born deaf. Sign language & lip reading isn't exclusive to when the deafness occured. These are forms of communication for the deaf.

In strict deaf culture, there is no voice & very little lip reading. Sign language is the only accepted form of communication. There is big difference between deaf culture & being deaf.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Hello Ev,

Thank you for this clarification. I have learned that there are likely as many differentiations of deafness as there are individuals who are deaf.

Our company tries to help both individuals who use assisted audio and those who use signing.

I hope I did not offend you or either of your children.

" My son is deaf from birth & is very much ASL. My daughter is deaf from birth & she is very much Signed English."

What's the difference between ASL and "Signed English"? If there is a difference, why don't your kids use the same language?