Scouts injured in blast while preparing gunpowder for OA

"Four minors and two adults suffered mostly second-degree burns and were taken to area hospitals. Two of the injured were taken to a burn center in Lincoln, Nebraska One adult remains hospitalized in Omaha, Nebraska, and the three remaining injured people have been released."

http://www.ketv.com/news/Boy-Scouts-project-causes-home-explosion/25221866

One fire chief commented 'leave the pyrotechnics to professionals'. Personally, it seems a contradiction that an outdoor steward group would use fireworks in ceremonies. Shooting a flaming arrow into the lake is enough for me.

My $0.02

Yah-but, it wasn't liquid fuel! - There is no such thing as an accident, just stupidity looking for a place to show off.

As one who has handles blackpowder on a regular basis (Civil War reenactor) I can assure you it is not a place for carelessness. Every precaution is the highest priority. Infractions are dealt with at the highest level. "I don't care that you traveled half-way across the country to participate in this event, you just wasted a ton of money and time and you can go home now." is the standard answer. Even when I was CA for a group of Venturers, they did not handle blackpowder preparation. Brass and plastic are the only materials useable when handling the stuff. I'm almost positive that in order to "test" their little experiment they would have not used a plastic, brass or glass bowl to hold the blackpowder, I'm thinking a stainless-STEEL mixing bowl, the #1 NO-NO with blackpowder.

As far as what these people were mixing with the blackpowder, I am going to guess iron filings because they will add a huge amount of flame and smoke to the explosion. Steel is made out of iron. Not a good combo. One static spark drawn by steel/iron is all it takes, or one bump of a steel belt buckle to a steel bowl. Ever watch the magician make a grand entrance to a campfire and produce a huge burst of flame and smoke in the campfire? One small pinch of iron filings is all it takes, no blackpowder at all. Iron filings are extremely flammable.

It's unfortunate that novices have to learn the hard way. I hope things turn out okay for these people. God has a way of looking out for fools and unfortunates.

Stosh

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/S...252907101.html

The Boy Scouts of America Mid-America Council in Omaha issued this statement Friday afternoon:

"Recently, four youth members and two adult members sustained burns and injuries while preparing for an upcoming special event. The Mid-America Council, Boy Scouts of America is extremely saddened by this unfortunate accident and our thoughts and prayers continue to be with our members who were injured and their families. Right now our focus is on the health of our members and doing everything we can to assist in their recovery. When appropriate we will carefully review the situation to see if there are any safety enhancements that may be necessary. The health and safety of all of our members is of paramount importance to the Boy Scouts of America. Safety is integral to everything we do and the Boy Scouts of America places great importance on creating the most secure environment possible for all of our members.â€Â

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/S...252907101.html

The Boy Scouts of America Mid-America Council in Omaha issued this statement Friday afternoon:

"... When appropriate we will carefully review the situation to see if there are any safety enhancements that may be necessary. The health and safety of all of our members is of paramount importance to the Boy Scouts of America. Safety is integral to everything we do and the Boy Scouts of America places great importance on creating the most secure environment possible for all of our members.â€Â

And a new chapter in GTSS is born.

And a new chapter in GTSS is born.

Naw, they'll just extend the one they have on large bore cannon. It'll now read, no black powder even if you don't have a cannon. :)

Stosh

• Upvote 1

Actually, they collected the spores of running cedar in the late fall and used that for the same purpose. The spores are highly flammable and a pinch tossed in a fire has the same effect Stosh describes as a pinch of iron shavings.

• Upvote 1

Very sad. Poor preparation, poor leader oversight, dumb idea to begin with (in hindsight), glad no one was bad hurt. Let's go knock over some rare, unique rock formations instead, at least THERE, we can avoid injury and help prevent future injury (he said with one eyebrow cocked and tongue firmly in cheek).

Sc99: Most OA chapters claim some fellowship with a local tribe, use their language and names.. Here around the Chesapeake Bay, that's the Delaware Lenape. But most standard OA ceremonies are really generic, and not intended to imitate any specific tribe's ceremony.

Maybe we can comment on the event noted, rather than start knocking other elements of the OA that you may not agree with.

Common sense, as well as being simply safety aware, would suggest there was poor judgement used for the sake of a show. While these types of flashy fire lighting are exciting and really ramp up the introductions of ceremonies, they are NOT generally a good idea, especially without very strict controls. In most cases, unless there are very qualified executors of the program, it is likely best to simply have a well laid fire with a simple match. Hopefully they learned a lesson, and fortunately there was no serious injury.

I don't disagree with any elements of the OA, I'm just under no illusions about it being authentic, which is perfectly fine with me; it's neat without being authentic.

Just watched the video, wow, really sleazy to air the minors' names and air their personal business.

Actually' date=' they collected the spores of running cedar in the late fall and used that for the same purpose. The spores are highly flammable and a pinch tossed in a fire has the same effect Stosh describes as a pinch of iron shavings.[/quote']

Sounds like what my boys do with cocoa packets!

When they actually realize that it's their money paying for someone else to put atomized carbohydrate into foil packets, they forage for fallen birch and strip and grind the bark for the same effect.

I'll let them know about the running cedar. (Anything to get them to identify more plants. :o)

Sc99: Most OA chapters claim some fellowship with a local tribe, use their language and names.. Here around the Chesapeake Bay, that's the Delaware Lenape. But most standard OA ceremonies are really generic, and not intended to imitate any specific tribe's ceremony.

Point of order :-) It's the Lenni-Lanape not Delaware Lenape. Delaware is an English name, from Lord Delaware, originally De la Warr.