The Ongoing Nightmare Continues

Within the past 4 days i found out some more bad news about my CO's troop. Two of my former Cubs who were so into Scouting are now frustrated with the program. One, who all he wanted for Christmas was camping gear, which he got, hasn't gone on a single camp out and it seriously thinking about quitting altogether. The other, also gung ho about the program, and whose dad I was hoping would eventually take over, has essentially decided to quit.

Very frustrated at the moment.

I know nightmares. This is not one. Ditto S99. Invite them to come camping with your boys. If they come you'll inspire them. If they don't they're in a prison of their own making, and you don't hold the key. The people who really care about the boys won't be mad at you. Everyone else ... Is irrelevant.

Eagle92,

Are you a cub scout leader for the pack in the CO? Or are you a Boy Scout leader in another troop, outside the CO? If the first, get the boys to be informal or formal den chiefs. At least get them outside. If the second, recruit them into your troop, which I'm sure is active camping. It's sad to me that a troop would not go on a campout between Christmas and the end of March. We've already been on three troop campouts (and getting ready for another the first weekend of April). I wish all boy scouts had a lot of camping opportunities.

Peri,

I hold too many positions. :) I have been a DL with the CO's pack for 5 years now, and the den that just crossed over to the troop was my old den. My oldest son decided to join another troop based upon his experiences camping with the troop, so I am also a troop committee member with another CO's troop.

Up until the end if February, I was also the CO's acting UC since our UC passed away. I am the CSRT commissioner so the pack is a natural choice, and I have a long history with the troop, stemming from when the troop was founded and I trained the original group of leaders.

But I had to make it clear that I could no longer do the UC position. It was getting too frustrating, I've posted about the troop, and my interactions with their SM. Here are a few links to threads about the unit in question.

http://www.scouter.com/forum/open-discussion-program/400980-an-interesting-weekend

http://www.scouter.com/forum/open-discussion-program/402103-coming-to-terms-with-my-son-s-troop-choice

http://www.scouter.com/forum/open-discussion-program/403876-no-win-situation-loyalty-to-the-scouts-or-the-co-s-troop

I've talked briefly to one mom about my son's troop and sent her some info.

I sent a message to my friend with my son's troop info. I know he saw it, but no response.

UPDATE:

We has SM Specific this past weekend, and 6 adults from the troop attended. I think all but 1 are actually registered as committee members, and i heard 1 leader talking about the IOLS Test Out that the district is doing. I hope they can turn it around.

Personally, I don't think there should be a test out for IOLS. At the very least, you get some time camping without the Scouts around (and see things from their point of view). At best, you learn a couple of things you either didn't know, or had forgotten along the way.

Personally, I don't think there should be a test out for IOLS. At the very least, you get some time camping without the Scouts around (and see things from their point of view). At best, you learn a couple of things you either didn't know, or had forgotten along the way.

Torch,

Challenge is in today's fast paced world, time is a valuable commodity. Why take a class to learn something you already know? Best example I can give is the Camping, Backpacking, Hiking and Cooking MBC who is an Eagle, worked summer camp staff, and has 3 beads, but was "untrained" because he had not taken IOLS. Between the troop, crew, and OA, he was already IMHO over-committed to Scouting and needed to spend time withthe family as a family.Only got "trained" when he was hired to teach IOLS to SMs while on summer camp staff again.

My personal favorite though is the the scouter who has been to Philmont 3 times. He showed up late to IOLS training b/c of his job the first time we got him to staff it, and the second time he was suppose to staff it, had to bail out at the last minute b/c he was still dealing with work issues after 18 hours on the job.

Base,

Believe it or not I am doing my best to stay away from the situation. I've handed over commissioner responsibilities to the DC, and have washed my hands of the situation.

But it's hard at times. Mom of one Scout has a younger son in my den, and I get told what's going on. So it's hard on that front.

In the second instance, it came up at the district committee meeting. Trying to recruit someone for a district position, and one person's name came up. DE stated that he was already asked and declined. I then said it would probably be better to leave him be since he's with that unit, and I think he's the best hope for getting the unit fixed. Found out that the son is losing interest with Scouting.

• 1 month later...

Thought you might want an update.

One Scout is transferring to my son's troop. The last straw for him was when the troop cancelled going to the council camporee 22 hours before the gates opened. Scout ran into some members of the troop at a baseball camp out, visited a meeting, and said he's switching.

One Scout was hanging out with my son and the scout above, and he is thinking of transferring.

AND one Scout, will be visiting next week.