I did a search before posting (found nothing) on this topic so forgive me if it has already been discussed.

This may be a simple questions, but is the Unit Leader Award of Merit just for SMs? Or can it be awarded to ASMs? Reason I ask is that I have seen ASMs in my District (and neighboring Districts) wearing the award, and I know they have never been a unit lead. The requirement reads pretty clear -- "Be a currently registered Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Coach, or Advisor who has served in that position at least 18 continuous months." -- but is this being interpreted differently across the nation? Or am I being too literal in my definition of "Scoutmaster" not thinking it applies to ASMs.

I have an ASM I would love to put up for the award, but if it is only for unit leads obviously he would not qualify. Thoughts? Comments?

Are you certain they weren't Cubmasters or aren't Advisors? BSA is rife with "Multiple Hat" syndrome.

If that's not the case, it only takes one DE not reviewing the wording of the requirements to have a bunch of awards in circulation.

Are you certain they weren't Cubmasters or aren't Advisors? BSA is rife with "Multiple Hat" syndrome. If that's not the case' date=' it only takes one DE not reviewing the wording of the requirements to have a bunch of awards in circulation.[/quote'] Yes am sure they were not unit leads or even former unit leads. Was wondering if Scoutmaster was being interpreted broadly. :)

Thanks all. This is exactly how I read the award (Unit Leader Award of Merti) too. I had always understood that the ULAM and Scouter Key to be for unit leaders only (read: Scoutmasters, Crew Leads, etc.), and that the SM Training Award was for ASMs.

Sadly, I think there are folks in my District not reading this the same way.