HELP! What was this called????

It is cooked. It is sterilized (212F for twenty minutes?), and so safe to eat. It is easy cleanup (toss the plastic bag). It is fairly easy to do (scambled eggs in the plastic bag is easy too). It does involve carrying a couple of specialized equipment pieces(a grid and pot to fit and a "cozy"). So ya pays yer moneys and ya takes yer cherz.

I think the higher heat of the DO or reflector might be more tasty to my palate.

I sometimes demonstrate Bisquik and powdered milk premixed and carried in a ziploc, add water, mush it up, squeeze it into a greasy pan, fry it up and squeeze jelly on to it . The Scouts are always impressed, but few ever plan that far ahead to premix stuff to take on the hike.

The water/steam is to transfer heat. From what I've read about it, it doesn't make for soggy foods. Now, they aren't crisp like dry baked goods, but they aren't soggy. Here's a link to a DIY version:

http://www.trailcooking.com/fauxbaker/

We did something similar using three round throw away cake pans (one was cut up to use for the stand) to make pizza the third night of a four day backpack in Grand Canyon. It was awesome. The only problem is that you're cooking for awhile and so use a lot of fuel.