Scoutmaster Goes into Shock!

My visiting friends and I stopped at a McDonalds while on the road. Inside were a small group of Scouts accompanied by two adults. It turns out they had done the opening flag ceremony at the Roundtable. Anyway, my friend was teasing them all because they had skipped the Klondike this year. Excuse was that it was too cold.

I caught the tailend of this as I reappeared. I asked the adult facing me if he was the Scoutmaster. He shook his head, and pointed to the gentleman across from him. I gave that second man the most heartfelt, 'Thank you for volunteering' that I could. He seemed to start choking on his Big Mac. I was getting ready to do CPR, but he just sat there kind of stunned. When I also thanked the first Scouter, he also didn't know what to say.

Didn't stop to chat as we were a bit behind schedule. I got to wondering. Maybe we aren't as involved with the outer world as much as we should be -- too much of a closed club?

I think this kind of thing goes on occasionally, rare, but occasionally. I have mentioned before that I used to go out for dinner before every scout meeting night because I was hard pressed to get to work and then to the meeting. My girlfriend and I were eating at a Chinese buffet and being in a hurry to get to scouts, I asked for the check. The waitress told me that someone else had "picked up the check". I asked who it might be and she indicated a young family with two small kids in a booth. I had no idea who they were, but I went over, introduced myself and suggested that because I was wearing a uniform they might have mistaken me for a military serviceman. They said they were fully aware I was a Boy Scout leader and were appreciative of all that I do for the youth of the community. The word "shock" doesn't seem to be descriptive enough, "floored" and "stunned" also fit in. Maybe it's a combination of all three.

Stosh

• Upvote 2

Maybe not so much a closed group but may kinda taken back that people outside of scouting still think scouting is worthwhile. So much press that tends to show scouting as out of touch with current social mores, it is suprising that people do recognize that scouting is not a bad thing.

As adult leaders, we see young boys enter scouting and with a very short time take on responsibiilty. We see first hand what a real impact scouting has on those involved. We see a value for not only our own sons but the entire next generation. I am not sure BSA National does an effective job at selling that msg to the public. Most of the public I deal with outside of scouting have a generally positive attituide towards scouting but don't seem to understand that scouting is much more than first aid, knots, and helping old ladies across the street. I would like to see National have two marketing campaigns. One geared towards boys showing that scouting is fun and adventure and second towards adults explaining it is fun with the purpose of growing boys into responsible adults.

Some years ago when my youngest was a tiger the 2 tiger den leaders decided to take the two dens to a pizza buffet restaurant for the meeting before Christmas. I was the CC of the pack already for 4 years so there was the two leaders, cub master and myself the only adults in uniform along with all 18 scouts. The leaders stayed in the room while the cub master and I supervised the scouts getting food. When the last scouts were going back to their seats the CM and I started to get our food. An elderly gentleman got up and came over to me saying " I am an eagle scout and my friend you are doing the Lords work! I just want to shake your hand" I thanked him and then he went back to his seat.

Our troop always travels in the field uniform (aka Class As). This weekend, on our way to go backpacking, we stopped at a truck stop to fuel our vehicles and quench our thirsts, etc. Got a lot of positive reactions. I don't think that people see scout uniforms in public very often, and it's a sad thing.

These surprised reactions are a symptom of one of BSA's problems. We have allowed "others" to define and disparage our program and do so little self-marketing, I'm surprised anyone even knows what Scouting is. I have suggested to all our local Packs that they build a relationship with every local school (public or private or parochial). If a parent went into the office of your son's school and said, "We're interested in Cub Scouts, who do we contact?" would an Assistant or the Principal know the answer? We have a great, great story to tell, and it's time to start telling it more widely and more frequently.

One thing that struck me at a recent SM training, is that we are not allowed to wear the field uniform at certain fundraisers. To me, this is counterproductive, and honestly, strikes me that the upper levels are running on greed rather than common sense.

• Downvote 1

I was shocked by the same thing at my recent SM training. Only Council does fund raising- units do "money earning activities". There has to be a product or service exchanged for the money. And we were told that we can only wear Class A uniforms if we are selling popcorn, since it has been vetted by BSA. Seems like we are being coerced into selling popcorn (our Troop does not), or only being able to participate in FOS activities.

One thing that struck me at a recent SM training' date=' is that we are not allowed to wear the field uniform at certain fundraisers. To me, this is counterproductive, and honestly, strikes me that the upper levels are running on greed rather than common sense.[/quote']

Its a law suit and image thing, the BSA has had some trouble because they were being associated with products not considered by some appropriate for the situation, or were not representing themselves clearly as part of the BSA. One local example that eventually caused some waves was units selling beer at vendors booths during the state fair. That was a lucrative fund raiser for years before someone raised concern about the image. Barry

Barry, that kind of thing is avoided by vetting fundraising activities (paperwork), not by banning the uniform in fundraising UNLESS the council gets their share. The true reason is greed. The Council wants their share, or we can't use the uniform.

• Downvote 1

Where does it say you can only wear uniforms when selling popcorn? That sounds like either an urban legend being passed along or a Council making stuff up as it goes.

We sell wreaths at our Church for the Troop's funds, in uniform. And we work one of the booths at the annual church fair helping the parish raise money, also in uniform.

Whenever anyone tells you there's a rule, but the rule doesn't make sense, tell them "show me." If they can't show you the rule don't bother arguing with them just ignore them and do your thing.

Not saying that we don't all do it just like you, but according to the instructor in my SM Basic course, that is the official word. If some kid came to my door selling anything for Scouting, and wasn't in uniform, I wouldn't buy from him.

This is from the back of the Unit Money Earning Application, which must be filled out for anything other than popcorn sales:

6. If a commercial product is to be sold, will the

fund-raising activity comply with BSA policy on

wearing the uniform?

The official uniform is intended to be worn primarily

for use in connection with Scouting activities.

However, council executive boards may approve

use of the uniform for any fund-raising activity.

Typically, council popcorn sales or Scout show

ticket sales are approved uniform fund-raisers.

So, if it isn't popcorn or a Scout show (something atypical), you may or may not get Council approval to wear uniforms.

I don't buy from any scout either boy or girl, unless the scout is in uniform...period! The last purchase I made was GS cookies from a young gal standing outside of Walmart in freezing weather bundled up to the hilt and her vest over it all! She got a good sale from me.

I had one boy in my former troop ask me to buy a Christmas wreath. I told him to come back when he has a full uniform. The troop didn't require a full uniform and I wasn't under any obligation to buy either. I guess he didn't want to make the sale very bad. If one is in full uniform knocking on my front door, they can expect a $50 sale to start.

Stosh

• Downvote 1