Pioneering Catapults Banned?

Well I guess the snowball fights at winter camp are now out, too.

Because of the mechanical nature of the propellant, I'm thinking baseball games are now out, too. Maybe we can get RangeMasters to double as umpires.

What's next?

Stosh

Possibly it is the updated infomation in the shooting sports manual. Please review the update list, the consolodation of this into the actual manual is a work in progress but do not know what the timeline is. In the interium you may need to look at both.

http://www.scouting.org/Home/OutdoorProgram/ShootingSports.aspx Has both source documents.

It may also be ballistas vs. catapults that was conveyed at your RT, but don't know exactly what was said.

Yours in Scouting,

Richard

When I think of a "small juice can" I think of the little 6 oz cans of pineapple juice that my dad used to buy for camping trips. They aren't even the size of a fist.
Well I guess the snowball fights at winter camp are now out, too.

Because of the mechanical nature of the propellant, I'm thinking baseball games are now out, too. Maybe we can get RangeMasters to double as umpires.

What's next?

Stosh

They won't be "out." All you'll need to do is submit an online "tour around the bases" permit - one for each "at bat." Just have you hand-held connective device in the dugout and gather a thumb print as each boy goes "on deck." Your service center will gladly process the request.

Okay, here's my chauvinistic slant on it. Mom and Dad are at the base of the huge tree. Little Johnny or Little Janie is getting ready to climb it. Mom says, "Be careful! Maybe you shouldn't be doing this." and Dad asks, "How high can you climb?" Well, when Mamma ain't happy, nobody's happy. Well, there you have it. Nobody's happy anymore.

Stosh

And I just saw these:

• Water guns and rubber band guns must only be used to shoot at targets, and eye protection must be worn.

• Marshmallow shooters that use a straw or similar device placed in the mouth are not approved.

Really???

And I just saw these:

• Water guns and rubber band guns must only be used to shoot at targets, and eye protection must be worn.

• Marshmallow shooters that use a straw or similar device placed in the mouth are not approved.

Really???

Richard Bourlon,

I would love to see the risk assessment documents on these activities.

Can you share?

And I just saw these:

Really???

So if we want to shoot water guns we need to:

1. Have a "safe range" set up so no one can accidentally walk in front of a water gun.

2. Must have at least 15 feet between the water gun operators and their targets (It better be a powerful water gun).

3. Must have a backstop so we don't pose a safety hazard for the area behind the range.

4. Have a "range master" to supervise.

5. Follow all safety guidelines for archery and bb guns.

And I just saw these:

Really???

6. Get approval from our council shooting sports committee.
Possibly it is the updated infomation in the shooting sports manual. Please review the update list, the consolodation of this into the actual manual is a work in progress but do not know what the timeline is. In the interium you may need to look at both.

http://www.scouting.org/Home/OutdoorProgram/ShootingSports.aspx Has both source documents.

It may also be ballistas vs. catapults that was conveyed at your RT, but don't know exactly what was said.

Yours in Scouting,

Richard

This is why membership is down, the adventure is being removed from scouting bit by bit.
And I just saw these:

Really???

Shooting water guns, laser guns, etc. at people has been banned for quite a while. Which is why it was pretty amusing that Cub Scout "Adventure is Calling" recruiting poster in 2011-ish depicted Cubs having fun shooting each other with water guns. Apparently the propaganda dept doesn't communicate with the gestapo.

A few years back, our council sponsored a rock throwing range. Specific sized rocks (which had to be collected after each round), Targets, safety lines, RSO to call the signals, and all. Only did it one year, never heard of it again. Very popular,

And I just saw these:

Really???

Pointing water guns at people was never explicitly banned until now. Until now it boiled down to what was considered a "simulated firearm". Some people considered that to include water guns. Others did not. Now there is no doubt.