Questions for Webelos to Ask

There was a similar thread a year or two ago. I can't remember enough to do a reasonable search. Can anyone else help me find it?

Short of that, my Webelos den is discussing what to look for in a good troop. Other than asking how many Eagles the troop produces in a year, a list of the merit badges they are planning to teach at upcoming troop meetings and getting a copy of the troop rules and regulations, can anyone add anything?

With all due respect TwoCubDad, those sound like questions a parent might ask. I would hope questions a kid would ask would be more like,

How many camping trips to you go on every year?

Where does the troop go ?

Do they do outings other than camping?

Does the troop do High Adventure trips like Philmont?

How are the trips paid for? Does the troop do fund raisers or do scouts(parents) pay out of pocket? How much do the trips cost?

Where do they go for summer camp?

Do they backpack or do mostly car camping?

What kind of food do you cook on campouts?

Can I bring my CD Player? Gameboy? DVD Player? Camper w/wide screen TV?

How are patrol leaders chosen? SPL?

How long has the Scoutmaster been with the troop? Associated with Scouting? Has he had any training? What kind?

Ok, the last question is probably a parent question.

I'm sure others will be able to add.

Good Luck.

SA

If I was looking for a troop and was given the lists that you have stated I would run as fast and as far as I could.

When did Troops ever start to prouduce Eagle Scouts? What happens if my son is not interested in the "Merit Badge of the week?"

As for the rule book. - No Thank you.

First I would start with the easy stuff. What night of the week does the troop meet? Will that fit into what we do as a family?What role does the Chartered Organization play in the troop?

What does the troop expect of me as a parent?

Still more important then asking a whole bunch of questions to the leaders in the end it would come down to what my son wants to do.

How many other members of his den are going to that troop? When we visited the troop were they having fun or was the school of the Merit Badge in session? How did the leaders treat the Scouts? How was the meeting run? and who ran it?

Eamonn

Oh come on folks, lighten up. The number of Eagles, etc. was so tounge-in-cheek my face hurts. I thought for sure it was beyond the need for a little smiley face.

Good questions so far, but keep in mind I'm looking for questions for the Webelos to ask. Perhaps "questions" isn't the right word. Maybe I should ask for a list of things they should learn about a prospective troop.

Ooh ooh, I knew, I knew! I saw the :) that wasn't there. I think TwoCubDad is getting ready for the club circuit.

I think that at age 10-11 boys are at a very basic level as far as questions about a Scout troop. Basically all in the "what will I be doing" range. And not, what will I be doing when I am 16, or even 13 -- what will I be doing now. Since they have been Webelos, the questions may express themselves in how things will be different now that I am in Scouting. More frequent meetings of the "whole group" (the troop), parents generally not there unless they are a leader, more frequent campouts, but I don't think they want much more specific than that.

I have to say to scoutingagain, while your questions are good ones, I think that most of them are "parent" questions. Maybe this a fine point, but "What do we do at summer camp" would be the question, not "Where do we go." I also don't think, for example, that most Webelos can really conceptualize something like Philmont. I have described Philmont to my son (crossed over in April), and it seems like he can't even imagine himself doing it. I am pretty sure the reason for that is that he is not yet a strong enough hiker to want to attempt something like that. And nobody expects him to be -- he just turned 12. What he doesn't know, but I do know, is that he will be a strong enough hiker, camper, etc. as a result of all the experiences he is going to have in the next couple years, as well as physical growth. When he is ready for Philmont, Philmont will be ready for him. Until then, there's not much point in talking to him about it, and there's not much chance that he would have asked a question about it 8 months ago.

Same for things like fund-raising. The kids at that age don't care, and I don't mean that in a bad way. They can be told, "in this troop we sell wreaths," but the closest thing you are likely to get to a question is "Oh, OK."

Obviously there are exceptions. I haven't seen any, though -- even from boys who are very bright and could easily think of questions like this -- they just don't. They're not "there" yet.

Another example, how is the SPL chosen. When my son was in Webelos, before he had been to a troop meeting, I think the whole idea of a boy only a few years older than him, standing in front of a whole room running a meeting, would have been a foreign concept -- it is something that has to be seen to be believed, at that age. The idea of voting for a leader would have fallen in the same category -- until he got to see the SPL and ASPL in action for a couple months, and then spend a week in summer camp with all of the potential candidates in the next election. When, 2 months after summer camp, he actually got to vote for the new SPL -- and the boy he voted for won, over the incumbent ASPL who is about 2 years older and who the adults thought was a shoo-in... I can't even describe my son's reaction. Though he was quiet about it, he thought that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. (I had to remind him that when you're a voter, the guy you vote for doesn't always win -- something I know from extensive personal experience as a voter, but then you work with the guy who did.)

I guess I've made my point -- and worn it down to a stub.

NJ, for the most part I agree about 12 year olds not being ready for Philmont, etc

I gotta say though that there is a boy in our troop who has already been to Philmont two or three times and he just crossed over in March. What he did there, I dont know.

Beyond the questions to ask in a visit, I recommend taking some time to visit and observe the troop in action. Visit as many meetings as it takes to get a good feel for the spirit of the troop. Observe them in action. Go out to join them for their campfire on Saturday night of a campout. Or go a little earlier to watch them preparing dinner.

While the parent may ask some of the questions, the parent and almost-scout can talk about those findings and what they are likely mean to the scout in his future.

My oldest son joined his first troop simply because all his Webelos buddies decided to join it. I sensed problems brewing, but didn't listen to the little voice. Within a year, my son was totally disillusioned and ready to drop out of scouts altogether. Fortunately I talked him into visiting other troops in the area and we found one with a healthier program. (I did MY homework the second time around.)

Several posters have mentioned adult leadership. Another question I've learned to ask SMs is how much longer they plan to be around. If they plan to be leaving within the next year or so, it's a good idea to ask about who will likely be taking their place.

Good Day All

>>Another question I've learned to ask SMs is how much longer they plan to be around. If they plan to be leaving within the next year or so, it's a good idea to ask about who will likely be taking their place.>Number of eagles? Why would you ask that question?

The parents certainly have one set of questions that they will ask, and a CS leader will ask a different set of questions. A trained and very involved CS leader will ask still another set of questions. The Webelos really dont know what kind of questions to ask. Why would they, how could they??? TwoCub, my hats off to you for trying to come up with a list of questions for the boys!

I think the boys should be asking questions like:

How often do you meet?

Will I advance if I dont make all the meetings?

Will I be expected to participate in fundraisers?

Must I be in uniform all the time? Will not being in uniform affect my advancement?

What kind of outings does the troop take? Can I go on all of them?

I play baseball and will miss most of the spring, is this OK?

Do I have to go camping or backpacking?

Do I have to go to Camp?

What type of behavior is expected of me?

What will I be doing at Troop meetings?

And Yes I do think that its OK for the boys to ask , How many Eagles has the troop produced? If the boy has his eye on the prize, then he needs to be in a troop that can help him get there.

I wouldn't ask a bunch of questions. I suggest you teach the Webelos to watch and evaluate.

Do the scouts work in boy lead patrols?

Does the Scoutmaster only talk to the troop at the end of the meeting?

Do they do hands on activities or talking head instruction?

Do they have New Scout Patrols?

How is their behavior?

Do they wear uniforms with pride?

Are they doing scout stuff or just playin basketball or bombardment etc.?

Ask,

When will we get to earn our scout Badge? (The right answer is , first meeting)

When is the next campout? (right answer is a specific date in the next 30-days.)

When are troop meetings? (Answer: Weekly-same night-same time-90 minutes)

What is the first merit badge we will earn? (Answer: what are you interested in?)

Just my 2-cents

Bob White

The following is not mine, I "mined" it from web site but I tend to agree with the contents. It is more of a "what to look for" list than a "questions to ask" list. Many know the right answers. Fewer demonstrate that they follow the "answers."

1. Currently trained adults.

2. Leaders wear correct uniform.

3. Scoutmaster concentrates on training Junior Leaders, and knowing the needs and characteristics of each scout.

4. They use the Patrol Method for everything.

5. They follow the contents of the Boy Scout Handbook.

6. The committee supports the decision of the scouts, they dont make decisions for them.

7. They have at least two Assistant Scoutmasters.

8. They recognize scouts three times for each advancement.

9. They DONT use troop meetings as merit badge classes.

10. They plan everything in advance and put it in writing. The difference between a wish and a plan is a plan is written down.

11. The only rules they have are that scouts and leaders follow the Scout Oath and Law.

12. They get outdoors once a month (even if just for a day event)

13. Troop meetings are filled with hands on activities

14. New scouts make First Class, First Year.

15. They keep in contact with Webelos Dens year round.

16. They select leaders they dont recruit them.

17. They participate in District and Council events.

18. They attend Roundtable.

19. Adults smile and play nice together. (If you are not enjoying yourself then neither are the scouts.)

While I tend to agree with the above, many parents of Cub Scouters don't understand the Boy Scout program and such traits as not using troop meetings as merit badge classes disappoints many.

(This message has been edited by acco40)

Bob White stated, "When will we get to earn our scout Badge? (The right answer is , first meeting)

Why the first meeting? What if they haven't earned it yet? Do you support just giving them the badge even if they haven't met the requirements?