Youth Protection Training for Campouts

A couple weeks ago I attended Baloo training. Ugh.. Anyway. While there the trainer mentioned Youth Protection Training. She said All adults attending a campout must have YPT. Even if they are doing m thing more than hanging out. Is this accurate? If this is true, I think my attendance numbers are going to drop.

since you are talking BALOO that would mean cubs and I'm not totally sure on the policies for family with that. But for Boy Scouts the answer is yes all attending campouts must have YPT. Actually it's any adult who has direct contact with a scout - so basically anyone who attends anything where scouts are there. Now if you have a position that would only show up when youth aren't there (not sure what that would be) then they wouldn't be required. But really the online training is pretty quick and isn't that hard to complete. And as I look at it, it is more about protecting myself from false allegations than keeping me from doing anything because I wouldn't!!!

• Downvote 1
since you are talking BALOO that would mean cubs and I'm not totally sure on the policies for family with that. But for Boy Scouts the answer is yes all attending campouts must have YPT. Actually it's any adult who has direct contact with a scout - so basically anyone who attends anything where scouts are there. Now if you have a position that would only show up when youth aren't there (not sure what that would be) then they wouldn't be required. But really the online training is pretty quick and isn't that hard to complete. And as I look at it, it is more about protecting myself from false allegations than keeping me from doing anything because I wouldn't!!!
Maybe in your unit or in your council but according the the Guide to Safe Scouting no. You at the minimum must have one registered leader and anyone registered is required to have YPT. Nowhere does it say non-registered adults need YPT.

Having worked with youth for 40+ years, I have never viewed YPT as protecting youth. I know how I react around youth. I see it as ADULT protection training because I have no idea how youth will react around me. If it ever comes down to your word against an 8 year old, you automatically lose.

Stosh

• Upvote 1

My son, who just bridged over to Boy Scouts, was looking over my shoulder while I was taking the YPT online. He asked me a couple questions about it, and I used it as an opportunity to let him know what the rules were to make sure that he never went off with an adult Scouter alone. I think it is a good idea to have parents take YPT because they need to make sure the people to whom they have entrusted their boys aren't doing any shenanigans, but to have every adult on a pack campout take it seems silly. It's Cub Scouts and all CS are supposed to have a parent with them on campouts, unless they are Webelos.

• Upvote 1

yep, but I agree it's probably not a bad idea..... too bad it was stated as a "rule" though.

I'm thinking of trying to kick off next year with a parent meeting

mainly the goal is to lay out the expectations, how the pack operates, etc.....

primary goal is to foster more parents helping and stepping up.... help them to have some ownership....

this might be a great opportunity to run through YPT for the whole group at once.

yep, but I agree it's probably not a bad idea..... too bad it was stated as a "rule" though.

I'm thinking of trying to kick off next year with a parent meeting

mainly the goal is to lay out the expectations, how the pack operates, etc.....

primary goal is to foster more parents helping and stepping up.... help them to have some ownership....

this might be a great opportunity to run through YPT for the whole group at once.

It may in fact be a rule in that District or Council. To the OP: before you fire off that email to your Pack, check with your DE and find out what the rules are for your unit.
Having worked with youth for 40+ years, I have never viewed YPT as protecting youth. I know how I react around youth. I see it as ADULT protection training because I have no idea how youth will react around me. If it ever comes down to your word against an 8 year old, you automatically lose.

Stosh

You hit the nail on the head Stosh