Bully behavior - leader v leader

There is plenty of what could easily be considered bullying going on here on scouter.com by people who don't think twice about their own snide comments at other leaders.
There is so much irony in this thread, I'm amazed more hasn't been said. We preach even here about standing up to bullies, yet we let it go on. Barry
  • 1 month later...

On a related note...

This must be common enough for there to have been an article written on it some years ago.

Unfortunately, I have seen all the behaviour described, with similar treatment extended to other leaders and parents also. It's easier to ignore it, and not be the one to get the arrows in your back, but that is exactly what can allow it to flourish and become entrenched. Pity the fool who resists.

http://netcommissioner.com/askandy/2008/08/issue-144-how-scoutmasters-can-lose-it/

Betrayal is, it seems to me, just part of what we should expect in our interactions with others. We have to assume the best but we know that sooner or later, we may be betrayed by someone. Might as well 'be prepared' to deal with it when it happens. The best we can do is to make sure we don't do it to others (that golden rule thing).

Albert Ellis, a psychologist from back in the 1970's, put it plainly. No matter how well liked you are, no matter how much you love and are loved, everyone sooner or later is going to crap all over you. Once you realize that, life is a lot easier to deal with and you aren't surprised by people you thought you knew the best. I must say, it's worked out well for me over the past 40+ years. The few times people have gotten on my case just don't seem to be as important as all the good things being done around me. Once people realize they don't get the results they were trying for, they simply give up and go back to the way things were. :)

Stosh

This is interesting: http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/04/16/psychologist-social-media-causing-a-distancing-phenomena-to-take-place/

>> Batcho explained that what a person does in cyberspace is quite different than what someone can do face-to-face in an actual conversation.

“Cyber-bullying is a great example of how social media communication differs from face-to-face,†Batcho, who has been a licensed psychologist in New York state for over 30 years, stated. “Studies suggest that it takes place in a more extreme way over social media because the authors feel no responsibility.â€Â

Hmm