Unit Awards display ideas

My pack has the pack flag on a staff and 50 or more unit award ribbons lashed onto an O ring at the top of the staff. They getting to be a mess. The oldest one I've found thus far is from 1954! I'm wondering how other packs display their unit award ribbons. I'm looking for ideas.

Good ideas. But, we meet in the school gym and store our flag(s) in the closet etc. Storing and finding a place to set and display shadow boxes would be difficult, at best. They've been traditionally displayed with the flag at den/pack meetings so moving them to the charter organization is not an option. The one idea I've had, rough at this point, is maybe buy a few birch or oak dowels around 6'. Drill holes every 4" or so and attach ribbons to the holes, one on each side if necessary. One side would be better because we could hang the staffs sideways and the ribbons would hang separately and be in unobstructed view. I'm still open to suggestions.

I happen to the the pack flag and attached award ribbons because I've volunteered to lead a flag ceremony at the opening day little league parade. I contacted the 6 den leaders asking for scouts to volunteer for the color guard and only two replied after a week of waiting saying they could not help. I sent an email to the pack leader two days ago suggesting we have a tailor repair some small tears to the flag and possibly address my above question on the award ribbons. Thus far, no response. So, sadly, you see the apathy I'm dealing with here.

I think you have the right idea. I would choose one a flexible set-up mode where you just slide the ribbons over the end of the bar. Use a piece of trim (anchored by a screw to one end of the bar and a rubber band or hose clamp at the other end, maybe another in the middle) to keep the ribbons in their place. Add a drapery chord to hang the bar (and hide the clamps at either end), tie a loop in the middle, place over a nail or vertical pole notched at the top to hang your display. Depending on the length, it might hang easily over the end of a table. (To reduce slippage you may want to use straps instead of chord if you do that.)

This gives you the flexibility to fiddle with the spacing and how you would place the "vintage" ribbons. I can imagine situations where you might rather have them all at one end if you have one extra boy who wants to carry something, and all spread out if you have two extra boys who would be happy to hold either end.

Good luck with the volunteers. Sounds like you should work your way down a phone list.

GO to the local store and buy two , three, maybe four "trifold" display boards. Buy a roll of double stick carpet tape. Take ALL the ribbons off the pole. Clean them carefully. Take off the strings. Iron them FACE DOWN with a cool iron. Sort them out into "Boys Life",, "Quality Unit", "Camporee", "Webelos Weekend" etc. etc. Order them by date. Collect them and stick them on the trifold display boards with the double stick tape. . Label them as seems appropriate (?who was Cubmaster then? Anyone remember something neat about that time?) Display as desired. Rejoice at the Unit's longevity.

Thanks! Lot's of good ideas. Btw, 800+ people at the little league opening day parade. Yikes! One of the three Tiger cubs almost ran for the hills but they all did it and did it well. Very proud. The pack leader stopped by and said he'd like to have the flag repaired and work something out with the award ribbons. There is hope after all ;)