Project Not Approved Due to Lack of Time

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whether or not he has time to complete the project is the Scout's problem, and shouldn't be grounds for disapproval. Bad call.   While completing the project before his birthday has a nice ring to

The district Eagle BOR is out of line. I understand weather delays, but to confine their district duties to a fixed schedule is wrong. Weather aside, they could have still discussed it over the phone or via email, had a quick meeting at diner after the roads were clear, etc., so this scout can have a shot at getting the project done.

I don't necessarily agree with that. These folks are volunteers, like most of us, with families, jobs, and probably other scouting duties. I don't think making themselves available on a pre-determined schedule that is made known to all ahead of time is unreasonable. I don't think it's reasonable to expect the EBOR members make themselves available at the drop of a hat to accommodate someone who consciously waited until the last minute. I can see making an exception for something that is truly an emergency or unforeseen, but I don't see that here. I'm not saying I agree with the decision to not allow him to do it in the short time frame, though.

Agreed, there should be boundaries, but in this case, it seemed the board was thinking of their own schedule and convenience rather than showing some flexibility. From my understanding of the facts, the board's strict adherence to their monthly meeting schedule subtracted another 30 days from the scout's available time. If that's the case, then it's all about the district, and not enough about supporting unit level scouting.
Why exactly does a Eagle BOR have to approve the project? Other than a 45 minute meeting with one Council representative to explain the project and get approval, mine was done completely at a Troop level.
That's how our council operates. Other councils don't want to entrust that responsibility to any single adult.
Sorry it had taken so long to get back to this post. Busy with family, work, and Scouting. Going to post and then unload the car from the camp out.

1) I want to thank everyone for their advice. Kinda figured as much, but wanted to see if anything was missing.

2) I also want to apologize to everyone. I sometimes go off half-cocked, getting involved in something without knowing all the details. I admit I still don't know all the details, but after RT on Thursday, I talked to another friend involved in the situation, and got a different story on the situation.

So here is the different side.

Scout, realizing he had 2 weeks to complete both a project and 5 merit badges and would not be able to do so, gave up.

I know, lots of unanswered questions.Ans I think a lot more to the story.

Yep, the 5 MBs should have been cleared at the previous delay.
Why exactly does a Eagle BOR have to approve the project? Other than a 45 minute meeting with one Council representative to explain the project and get approval, mine was done completely at a Troop level.
Our council works the same as above. The thing is, that doesn't leave it up to a single adult. At the point of council approval, three adults have already approved the project.

Base,

Actually, the SM was the one who told me the scout gave up. SM encouraged him, told him what needed to be done several months ago, etc, but "No one is going to give it to him. He has to do the work." I know dad had a hard time saying that and living up to it, but son knew all along the deadline.

Mom on the other hand, the one who called me up and told me the first story, is not happy about the situation, or the ex whom she thinks is not getting involved enough to fix the "problem."

Again I think there is a lot more behind this.

Now the rest of the story.

They made the correct decision to not allow him to start.

a Shame his scoutmaster failed to help guide him along.

I disagree. That decision was the Scout's to make, not the district.
Base,

Actually, the SM was the one who told me the scout gave up. SM encouraged him, told him what needed to be done several months ago, etc, but "No one is going to give it to him. He has to do the work." I know dad had a hard time saying that and living up to it, but son knew all along the deadline.

Mom on the other hand, the one who called me up and told me the first story, is not happy about the situation, or the ex whom she thinks is not getting involved enough to fix the "problem."

Sounds like you almost got sucked into the perfect storm! Talking to the SM was the best move you could make. Have fun talking to your friend (if you haven't already).
This has been discussed before, but it's a hot button topic for me. Our district had a bad Eagle proposal approval process years ago and it's fixed now. The headaches of the proposal approval both scared away and also blocked multiple scouts from achieving eagle.

---------------------------

And, I must admit I'm glad our district no longer has an Eagle BOR to approval Eagle project proposals. We have one guy. The scout calls him, schedules a meeting, meets with him ... and if everything is good ... he'll sign it right then and there. It all occurs usually within a week of the scout calling the guy and less than an hour of face-to-face time. If he's not available, another district advancement team guy is available to review and approve.

This is consistent with BSA GTA sections 9.0.2.1 and 9.0.2.7 which reminds us as leaders and reviewers to be sensitive of a scout's time as he should be of ours.

Plus the new Eagle workbook has it nice and clean. There is ONE SIGNATURE location for one council/district person to sign. I think that is right.

---------------------------

IMHO, a committee review of the proposal does nothing to help the scout succeed and only can create headaches and failure points. IMLTHO, it serves more to promote the Eagle rank pompousness and does nothing to help the scout succeed.

I've seen one version of committee review and it was hell. Years ago, we also had one contact, but there was a committee who would review and discuss each eagle project. It was a major obstacle and took a month or more to get approval.

-- Seen the status and review progress get lost in emails between the committee of app rovers.

-- Seen the review coordinator contact the scout asking for another proposal copy because they lost it.

-- Seen the committee reviewing different versions.

-- Seen the committee stalled because of missing people.

-- Seen the committee have different review findings each review cycle because different people were available and each person has his own agenda and hot button items.

-- Seen the committee force scouts thru five review cycles taking three months to complete.

Best solution is a quick, face-to-face, review and get it done. The BSA GTA has no discussion of a Eagle project "proposal" BOR.

IMHO, council/district proposal approval is a safe guard and should happen quick and easy and should in no way impede the scout.

----------------------

IMLTHO ... in my less than humble opinion

Base,

Perfect storm is an understatement.

So did the boy go and have his project rejected because the District people thought he didn't have enough time and then give up? Did he give up before meeting with the District people, but meet with them anyway?

If he wanted to do it and "gave up" because suddenly everyone told him no, that's a shame.

In the abstract, it is still not a district's business/problem as to the time left to finish the project, only to approve or decline the project based on whether or not it fulfills the requirements.

Its a hard decision. They shouldn't have rejected the project due to the time limit, if the project could have been completed. But with the 5 Merit Badges left, they also have a duty not to "string the boy along". They approve the project, but then what? The boy won't earn eagle without the poorest, shadiest merit badge councilors signing off on some half-assed rush jobs. So maybe its best that the boy gets his "no" on the Eagle now. But he can still go ahead with the project for his own/troops growth, if he wants to complete it. Any odds that will happen?