do your troop's adults eat the boy's food or do your own?

I'm a CS guy, getting involved with our CO's troop. Talking wit the SM the other day, and was surprised to hear that the adults will eat whatever the boys are cooking.

I thought that the norm would be more like the adults set up camp near the boys for emergency response and guidance, and that the adults could even lead by example.... that it's possible to eat "this good" if you plan and work for it!

So how does your troop work the food at camps?

There are as many different methods as there are troops. Our troop has the adult "patrol". We camp together away from the boys and plan a menu, shop for and cook our own food just like they do. The method you described is what happens at Jamboree. There are 4 adult leaders and 4 youth senior leadership and 4 patrols. We had a rotating schedule and an adult and senior leader would eat with adifferent patrol for each meal. That is done more for the time limits that come with a Jambo than anything else and provides time to get to know the boys who are in our charge for such a short time.

An issue I had with my troop was that we provided different equipment to the adults than we did to the youth. The SM at times would be concerned with how long it took the patrols to cook and do KP. Well, they didn't have the turkey cookers type burners and large pots we had. They had coleman stoves and small pots. A horse and buggy is going to take longer to get to town than a racecar. I mention this because I think it is important for adults to set the example. We really shouldn't set ourselves apart and use better equipment than they have. That can create resentment. So can "eating better" than them. But all we do is plan a menu of what we want to eat using the ssame amount of money they do. They choose fast and simple. We take this as an opportunity to challenge them to stretch themselves in the cooking arena. They too can eat just like the adults if they really want to. There is always a standing offer to show them how.

Honestly. I've seen what the boys "cook" and eat for the past 10 years and I prefer to stay in my area and eat the adult food.

In our case, the boys have better equipment for cooking, and we share some things--dutch ovens, for example. We have the same budget--$12 per person per trip. We tend to eat better, but rarely is it something they can't do. (Teh chicken cordon blue our formerSM made a few yars ago, one of the few exceptions).

I forgot to mention that the adults did step in with the first troop I was briefly associated with. The boys had gotten lazy and then lazier. They were eating pop tart and ramen. They got so lazy, they quit boiling water for the ramen and started eating the bricks of dried noodles straight from the package. That's when the adults stepped in and provided a frame for what they could and could not do menu wise and cooking wise. I'm all for boy led until there is no leadership at all.

• Upvote 1
..... Plopping an adult in the middle completely changes the dynamic.....

That's exactly one of the things I was thinking.....

Also, I'm just really not all that interested in eating what they cook..... but that's based on my assumption they'll be having ramen (even if it is cooked) and such....

I gotta admit, adults on their own appeals to me even more than adult patrol, BUT I would think a mix of solo and patrol cooking could have advantages..... even for the boys.

It depends on the camping. If we are doing a setup camp since we only have a couple of trucks to haul the gear we have a community kitchen and the SPL dictates the kitchen schedule including the adult times. Each patrol provides it's own food. It has happened that the patrol leaders have gotten together with the SPL and each patrol is in charge of a different meal. Adults do have to fend for themselves. At one campout a patrol traded to the adults some bratwurst for the barbeque chicken we were cooking.

When we go to resident patrol camp the boys cook breakfast and supper for everyone including the leaders. The leaders are on their own for lunch but we get together with the leaders from other troops on the first day and create a patrol and each day a couple of us make lunch for everyone.

Backpacking trips everyone has their own food.

Meal times are for patrols to have their own "family" meals, just like your family does (or should). They work together to cook and clean up, say grace together then spend the time talking. Plopping an adult in the middle completely changes the dynamic.

Our adults lead by example and conduct our "patrol" meals the same way.

Sometimes, families have guests. Yes, they do change the dynamic. Usually for the good (although there was that one incident, over tiramisu, when the Maurtanian and the Malian started a row over the price of tea in Timbuktu).
I forgot to mention that the adults did step in with the first troop I was briefly associated with. The boys had gotten lazy and then lazier. They were eating pop tart and ramen. They got so lazy, they quit boiling water for the ramen and started eating the bricks of dried noodles straight from the package. That's when the adults stepped in and provided a frame for what they could and could not do menu wise and cooking wise. I'm all for boy led until there is no leadership at all.
It's like the boys in my troop have evil twins!

Adults act as a patrol. Use the same cost allotment as the boys when buying food. Cooking competition is held during every campout for the Saturday evening meal. PLC sets the theme. Patrols plan menu, buy food and cook to meet the theme. Started out a few adventurous adults would wander around and sample patrol meals. Very quickly patrols decided to make a presentation plate and deliver to the adult area. Troop rules are no Ramin, no poptarts, no hotdogs. Troop has at least one dutch oven for every patrol. Box oven making and cooking presentations are given annually. Level of cooking improved dramatically within 3 months of themed competition.

Meal times are for patrols to have their own "family" meals, just like your family does (or should). They work together to cook and clean up, say grace together then spend the time talking. Plopping an adult in the middle completely changes the dynamic.

Our adults lead by example and conduct our "patrol" meals the same way.

Entertaining guests at every meal is what we call a restaurant. If your family is having guests at every meal you're not having family meals, you're entertaining the guest. Same for patrols.

And after three meals they better be washing dishes.

Adults act as a patrol. Use the same cost allotment as the boys when buying food. Cooking competition is held during every campout for the Saturday evening meal. PLC sets the theme. Patrols plan menu, buy food and cook to meet the theme. Started out a few adventurous adults would wander around and sample patrol meals. Very quickly patrols decided to make a presentation plate and deliver to the adult area. Troop rules are no Ramin, no poptarts, no hotdogs. Troop has at least one dutch oven for every patrol. Box oven making and cooking presentations are given annually. Level of cooking improved dramatically within 3 months of themed competition.
Do you have a good set of plans for a box oven?

The Old Goat Patrol cooks and cleans just like any other Patrol when we camp. We do keep an eye on the boys who are cooking for their patrols, just to make sure that no one is doing anything dangerous, but it is always from a few steps back.

The leaders and adult drivers set up our own camp and cook separately. The SM and/or ASM will taste test and might give pointers to cook. At our one district weekend campout a year the adults will Dutch oven cook for the Saturday night troop meal. We use this as a way to teach them how good a meal can be. Also it allows the whole troop to participate in the activities / campfire program.

The adult leadership in our Troop eats what the scouts make for their particular meal.

Maybe this is due to usually having ad hoc patrols on any particular outing.

I have eaten less than desirable pancakes, stew that was more like watery soup, and other burnt/poorly prepared meals. It is a skill that most boys today don't do much of. It is a learning experience for them. IMO, it helps the boys learn that when cooking for the entire group, it is important to accept feedback, and know what you did right, and where there is room for improvement.

Now, on the other side of the coin, I've eaten some wonderful chili, dutch oven lasagna, dutch oven pizza, and some dump cake deserts. As the boys get older, and more confident in their cooking skills, it is rewarding to see them learn and grow.

Peri,

the old How-To-Book has the plans.

Real easy to make. Need cardboard box, aluminum foil, and STAPLES ( emphasis)

Basically put fopil all over the box, allowing to cardboard to be exposed, and staple the foil to the box. Tape comes undoen in the heat.

I put in two brick to elevate a pan with charcoal, and then larger bricks to elevate a grill over the charcoal.

I've cooked cookies and pizza in one.