The Mouse Monolith vs. the BSA

Is anybody really surprised that companies like Disney continue to withdraw support for Scouting? It didn't matter which side of the gay debate you were on, most of us guessed that the half-assed change BSA came up with would satisfy neither side.

So, no army of gay youth waiting to sign up and no increase in corporate donations as a result of the change. Worse yet, membership took another tumble and more big companies are sending their coin elsewhere.

Has anybody seen FoS numbers for their council? I'm guessing they've taken a tumble too.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Merlyn - Another off topic comment to further an agenda that has a limited number of advocates in Scouting?

Is anybody really surprised that companies like Disney continue to withdraw support for Scouting? It didn't matter which side of the gay debate you were on, most of us guessed that the half-assed chan

jblake - I believe in the principles of scouting.. We are to be non-sectarian, reverent, and welcoming of diversity.. Now all we need to do is change the policy that has strayed away from those prin

Companies that make these kinds of decisions are just as wrong as the groups they choose to not recognize may be. It is ALL money and politics.

If a company has a program to match legitimate giving by their employees, then it should not be passing judgement on who the employees choose to aid. By doing so, they are being hypocrites. Granted, they have the right to control where their corporate dollars go in regard to charity; but if they have these matching dollar programs, they should not be tied to the corporate decisions, as they are singling out personal actions of their employees. If they feel they need to do that, then they simply should eliminate the entire matching program.

But few companies have the courage to stand up to the power of the Gay lobbies. And when one does, they find themselves in the sights of media and a firestorm of negative press.

BSA though needs to take the final step to allow leaders as well, as long as those leaders meet the conditions of the individual charter org. Then it is no longer a broad brush decision, but a local one. Of course that will still not satisfy the PC police that feel they have the right to tell people and private groups what they should believe and what they should do. The field of battle will simply be refocused I fear.

The NERVE of that corporation to think they can decide for themselves what to donate money to!!!!! LOL

Jblake, by your logic you should welcome Disney's 'pullout'. Now they have no leverage whatsoever over BSA. Problem solved.

As I have often advocated, members of BSA ought to be 'paying the freight' for programs they benefit from and they should not expect handouts from others, corporations in this case. If you want to be free from corporate influence, turn away from their donations.

I DO appreciate the irony of the hand-wringing by persons who claim to be conservative, simply because they aren't recipients of corporate welfare anymore.

So out of all the Walt Disney employees in the U.S., $4.8 million was raised for numerous charities through this Voluntears program in 2010. How much of that actually went to BSA? I bet the number is insignificant. The negative publicity will cost us more than any loss in donations from Disney.

So out of all the Walt Disney employees in the U.S., $4.8 million was raised for numerous charities through this Voluntears program in 2010. How much of that actually went to BSA? I bet the number is insignificant. The negative publicity will cost us more than any loss in donations from Disney.
dedkad, this unit won't feel a thing either way. I'm sure some top brass might worry about their bloated salaries, OTOH.
Just another secular/political/social organization trying to dictate the standards of someone's religious tenets. Our forefathers left Europe along with millions of other parts of the world to get away from such activity. When will the world learn, dictating religion of any faith just doesn't work.

BSA is a religious (A Scout is Reverent) organization. Not just one religion, but all religions. Now if you are not religious, so be it. Start an outdoor program that has only 11 Laws, but don't dictate to those who would like 12.

Stosh

EXACTLY my point. It's none of BSA's business what Mickey does. But Mickey has chosen to make it everyone's business by running around making a big political brewha about it. Simply take the BSA off the list and let it go at that. People have a right to decide where their money goes. If Mickey's employees want to give to the BSA they can. Obviously Mickey isn't interested in giving to charity, they are interested in only certain charities, and that's their prerogative. My company doesn't contribute to BSA, but they don't give to anyone for that matter. At least they are being fair.

Stosh

Yeah, but they got national press for their pittance matching funding for Boy Scouts. They aren't interested in nothing more than making a political statement. But they give to the USGSA which makes them sexists. :) Don'tcha just love politics. Need a tear-jerk reaction? Just think of all those poor blacks and Hispanics that won't be able to do scouting now that Mickey has spoken from on high.

I'm sure the 99% love this kind of stuff even though 99% of us can't afford their Disney World/Land prices. :)

Stosh

Is loss of their matching funds (as you describe, a 'pittance') really going to result in "all those poor blacks and Hispanics that won't be able to do scouting now that Mickey has spoken from on high."??? Really?

Seems like a lot of effect from a "pittance". Do you know this for a fact? Have you seen the BSA budget details which can demonstrate this impact from the loss of that "pittance"? Where can I get the detailed budget to see this for myself?

Find it interesting that a discussion about Mike Rowe and Walmart should have suitable quotes for other categories on the forum.

"We’ve become adept at putting people into boxes and assigning labels that reduce individuals to a single dimension. Thus, Democrats must behave like Democrats. Republicans like Republicans. It's expected. If you wander too far afield, you’re labelled a “sell-out.†A “Rino." A “Scab.†And so forth. "

Politics, money, and power go hand in hand. And as noted already, this entire Gay focused issue is fully ensconced in those categories.

Just another secular/political/social organization trying to dictate the standards of someone's religious tenets. Our forefathers left Europe along with millions of other parts of the world to get away from such activity. When will the world learn, dictating religion of any faith just doesn't work.

BSA is a religious (A Scout is Reverent) organization. Not just one religion, but all religions. Now if you are not religious, so be it. Start an outdoor program that has only 11 Laws, but don't dictate to those who would like 12.

Stosh

jblake - I believe in the principles of scouting.. We are to be non-sectarian, reverent, and welcoming of diversity.. Now all we need to do is change the policy that has strayed away from those principles...
  • Upvote 1
I don't have to look at BSA's budget to know that what Mickey gives to them is pittance compared to their overall corporate budget.

It might be a small thing to Mickey, but taking the ball and going home because they don't like the makeup of the team is a rather small attitude, but hey, It's a Small World After All.

It's their ball, they can do whatever they want with it.

Stosh

Is anybody really surprised that companies like Disney continue to withdraw support for Scouting? It didn't matter which side of the gay debate you were on, most of us guessed that the half-assed change BSA came up with would satisfy neither side.

So, no army of gay youth waiting to sign up and no increase in corporate donations as a result of the change. Worse yet, membership took another tumble and more big companies are sending their coin elsewhere.

Has anybody seen FoS numbers for their council? I'm guessing they've taken a tumble too.

I know in my district, we have lost several Leadership level givers, and one donor who would have qualified as a Heritage Society member if it went towards the endowment and not FOS.

I also know we lost and entire troop over the vote.

But I also know that a lot of families are lowering or not giving to FOS due to the economy. They are hurting, and do not have the financial resources as they have once had.

Eliminating the discrimination against gay youth was a baby-step. The next step is to stop discriminating against gay adult volunteers. Then corporations and the public can once again start supporting the BSA without controversy.
Next it will be BSA's discriminatory policy against girls. It is never-ending.
Eliminating the discrimination against gay youth was a baby-step. The next step is to stop discriminating against gay adult volunteers. Then corporations and the public can once again start supporting the BSA without controversy.
The BSA's largest donations came from alumni. I don't know how much that suffered from the policy changes, but isn't coming back. Personally I believe the BSA at the moment is the best it every will be.