Hi Folks:

I have a bit different perspective about what TL is about, and why I am attracted to it. Morally straight behavior is not only about physical intimacy. It is about how people treat each other, and requires a common standard that everyone agrees on.

I have recently gone through a problem with our BSA Unit caused by very different moral standards. That is something I expect can be better resolved in TL. When (not if) there are problems we can go to the bible with the required Chaplain and work it out - biblically.

Something that I see lacking in this thread is how much the Adult Leaders truly make any youth program fruitful. It is not what is in some book, it is how the program is presented. I want a Christian based program for my boy and the other boys. I really think there is a difference. And it need not be "churchy". Scripture is full of matter-of-fact common sense.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a Jew married to a Christian, I am sure I have a different perspective than most Christians here. Living in the south I am reminded daily that I live in the bible belt. Groups like Trail Life and

Heh, heh, I had a Baptist minister once inform me that there are so many Baptist churches and flavors of Baptist because they can't agree on much - every little spat caused another split and a new fla

Let's see now: "When (not if) there are problems we can go to the bible...." and then, "... truly make any youth program fruitful. It is not what is in some book..."

H'mmm, okey dokey.

I'll repeat what I've written elsewhere: I'm glad for TL. I hope they are completely successful. No problems here.

Hi Folks:

I have a bit different perspective about what TL is about, and why I am attracted to it. Morally straight behavior is not only about physical intimacy. It is about how people treat each other, and requires a common standard that everyone agrees on.

I have recently gone through a problem with our BSA Unit caused by very different moral standards. That is something I expect can be better resolved in TL. When (not if) there are problems we can go to the bible with the required Chaplain and work it out - biblically.

Something that I see lacking in this thread is how much the Adult Leaders truly make any youth program fruitful. It is not what is in some book, it is how the program is presented. I want a Christian based program for my boy and the other boys. I really think there is a difference. And it need not be "churchy". Scripture is full of matter-of-fact common sense.

work it out biblically? If that was as easy as you make it sound there wouldn't be so many versions of Christianity. The bible is interpreted by man. So which is correct? For instance, the Christian church I attend says that homosexuality is OK according to the Bible. I know that is not the majority interpretation of the Bible but it is an interprettation from a Christian faith including many "educated religious leaders". I think the ten commandments, might be the only non-interprettable part of the bible.

I have nothing against TL, and I wish the members well. I just think that they will have many of the same problems over time.

As a Jew married to a Christian, I am sure I have a different perspective than most Christians here. Living in the south I am reminded daily that I live in the bible belt. Groups like Trail Life and AHG that are "christian based" don't make sense to me. We live in a multi-cultural society and it is important that our boys are brought up in an inclusive environment with people that are actually different from them. I have not had any complaints from anyone in our unit about our interfaith services because it is a learning experience for them.

I we lock ourselves in a room with only people like us that believe in the same things, the boys will be in a big shock when they grow into young men to be our leaders.

We have two GSA councils left in Ohio. Seems the same is true in PA. When I was trying to rent a GSA camp so the Scouts in our troop could run their own summer camp, I found all the different addresses and telephone numbers all rang into the same lady in Pittsburgh, and most of the listed camps had been sold off.

When (not if) there are problems we can go to the bible with the required Chaplain and work it out - biblically.

Of course then you have the issue of Scriptural interpretation. I'm not trying to be flippant but that is one of the primary divisions among Christians.

I would have gone to a TL meeting to see what it was like, but there weren't any units near me. Peregrinator, I assume they are following the Evangelical interpretation of the Bible.

TwoBlocked would I, an Orthodox Youth be able to join TL with my parent as a leader? Since we aren't the "right" kind of Christian?

NG, my Orthodox family gyrates quite well in both evangelical and catholic circles. Your concern is a non-issue. Our "cousins who left us" might be impulsive, but they are not naive as to where their theology comes from.

work it out biblically? If that was as easy as you make it sound there wouldn't be so many versions of Christianity. The bible is interpreted by man. So which is correct? For instance, the Christian church I attend says that homosexuality is OK according to the Bible. I know that is not the majority interpretation of the Bible but it is an interprettation from a Christian faith including many "educated religious leaders". I think the ten commandments, might be the only non-interprettable part of the bible.

I have nothing against TL, and I wish the members well. I just think that they will have many of the same problems over time.

Having a Chaplain (that is appointed by the CR which represents the CO that agrees to conduct the program according to TL standards which include that leaders will live pure lives) available to mediate disputes I think will really help sort out any theological differences.

I assume they are following the Evangelical interpretation of the Bible.

I'm not an Evangelical but I'm pretty sure there is no one Evangelical interpretation of Scripture. I'm not trying to make waves; just pointing out what seems to be obvious. That said, there's nothing wrong with not having the one right answer all the time, and I suppose each unit's having a religious identity will go some ways toward preventing certain problems or solving them as they come up.

I would have gone to a TL meeting to see what it was like, but there weren't any units near me. Peregrinator, I assume they are following the Evangelical interpretation of the Bible.

TwoBlocked would I, an Orthodox Youth be able to join TL with my parent as a leader? Since we aren't the "right" kind of Christian?

Sorry, an Orthodox what? Jew, Russian, Greek? I don't mean to be flippant.

​Like Scouting, a lot would depend on the unit. A troop doesn't have to take anyone, but there are some adults that cannot become leaders. There is a declaration of faith involved.

​I do not see any TL restriction on youth except for age and gender, as long as they don't promote a morality that is contrary to TL or the CO. That would be backstabbing like a scout saying it is OK to lie or steal. Everyone has their own thoughts and beliefs, and they change back and forth especially when you are a youth. But you learn to "ride for the brand" while you are part of an organization, otherwise an organization just can't function.

TwoBlocked would I' date=' an Orthodox Youth be able to join TL with my parent as a leader? Since we aren't the "right" kind of Christian?[/quote']

I don't think that Trail Life is purposely excluding non-Evangelical Christians. They do, however, tend to present themselves in a way that gives Catholics, and presumably Orthodox as well, concerns about the religious nature of the program. They are probably not even aware that they're doing it.

• Upvote 1
You can have a 100% Baptist unit - just only accept Scouts from your congregation. Then in addition to the Oath and Law' date=' you could focus on the Baptist flavor of Christianity.[/quote']

Yes you could, and I think some BSA Units are like that. I don't see how that really serves the boy that would benefit the most, though.

Heh, heh, I had a Baptist minister once inform me that there are so many Baptist churches and flavors of Baptist because they can't agree on much - every little spat caused another split and a new flavor. I really liked that guy.

• Upvote 1