• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a Jew married to a Christian, I am sure I have a different perspective than most Christians here. Living in the south I am reminded daily that I live in the bible belt. Groups like Trail Life and

Heh, heh, I had a Baptist minister once inform me that there are so many Baptist churches and flavors of Baptist because they can't agree on much - every little spat caused another split and a new fla

As a Jew married to a Christian, I am sure I have a different perspective than most Christians here. Living in the south I am reminded daily that I live in the bible belt. Groups like Trail Life and AHG that are "christian based" don't make sense to me. We live in a multi-cultural society and it is important that our boys are brought up in an inclusive environment with people that are actually different from them. I have not had any complaints from anyone in our unit about our interfaith services because it is a learning experience for them.

I we lock ourselves in a room with only people like us that believe in the same things, the boys will be in a big shock when they grow into young men to be our leaders.

• Upvote 1
As a Jew married to a Christian, I am sure I have a different perspective than most Christians here. Living in the south I am reminded daily that I live in the bible belt. Groups like Trail Life and AHG that are "christian based" don't make sense to me. We live in a multi-cultural society and it is important that our boys are brought up in an inclusive environment with people that are actually different from them. I have not had any complaints from anyone in our unit about our interfaith services because it is a learning experience for them.

I we lock ourselves in a room with only people like us that believe in the same things, the boys will be in a big shock when they grow into young men to be our leaders.

Most folks I know don't find that "shock" all that bothersome. But, I agree with you. There is no point in a Christian walling him/herself off from the rest of the world. Kinda flies in the face of the Great Commission.

On the other hand TL & AHG aren't isolationists, they are betting that a large part of the population are hungry for leadership who is overtly Christian (evangelical/orthodox/catholic) and defensive of heterosexual unions in terms of models for their youth. They are also figuring that many non-Christian parents would prefer that to a movement that is decidedly non-sectarian or purely secular. They may be right.

well we shall see. I think BSA and GSA will weather this storm.

Of course they will weather the storm, there is tradition even in a name. But the GSA has been fighting the membership problem for many years with program changes that keep tilting progressive. The BSA just started their righting (lefting) of the ship. Looking at all the other youth scouting organizations in North America that have made progressive program changes, the BSA membership will likely never be as good as today. Someone on another forum the other day showed the membership of other youth organizations like FFA and 4H being stable or growing. Those are conservative programs, which means there is a place for parents who want their kids in stable values programs. I'm personally not a Trail Life fan because I don't think it encourages boy run, but 75% of adult volunteers in scouting today didn't have a scouting experience as a youth. They don't have a clue what boy run means. They want safety and security for their son on campouts with strange adults. Reading some of posts of leaders on this forum the last few weeks, no way I would send my son off with them. There are some hateful comments toward conservatives. But just as importantly, even liberals want to feel safe with where their kids hang out on the weekend. If Trail Life can do that, the program will probably do OK. The GSA fighting for it's life is an example that the worst thing that can happen to the BSA is that it develops a reputation for liberal leaning ideals. Barry

How is GSA fighting for it's life? I'm just not aware of that. My daughter is a girl scout and the program seems to be going quite strong in our area. I don't see it as a conservative or a liberal thing. I think faith is important, I just think that we should be receptive to all faiths.
My councils scout camps are expensive... I know some councils let troops camp for free. Not mine a night in the camp with the troop will cost $80 for a tent site.

I am one that thinks maybe it is time for the scout owned camps should go away. It would end the merit badge frenzy and poor quality that folks complain about.

It costs our pack $200 to $300 a night to camp at the council camp. However, the scout camps have their benefits, like a shooting range.
I donno, BD, sounds like your chance to get in early and make the big bucks down the line. :p
Bout choked on my coffee.

Just like AHG the way the organization was created just doesn't sit well with me.

And in reflecting on the conversation I had with the fellow the other night, a lot of things don't give me the warm and fuzzy feeling..

I am a follow my senses kinda guy. If it feels wrong, or a trap or right I follow those first.

The problem is that for many conservatives (not all) the phrase "faith is important" actually means "faith that looks like mine is important, the rest can pound sand".

Trail life is misguided. Instead of an original program around Christian values, they copy the BSA program and modify the names and terms. The families that have issues with BSA should join their church youth group and be happy.

Trail life is misguided. Instead of an original program around Christian values, they copy the BSA program and modify the names and terms. The families that have issues with BSA should join their church youth group and be happy.
Surely if all they did was copy the BSA program then the BSA would not be shy about tying them up in court.
Well, BSA goes around touting that the unit should be considered an extension of the church's youth ministry. Lots of us, myself included consider scouting to be an excersise in "practical Christianity."

In this charged political atmosphere, when folks are being forced to choose sides, like children in a nasty divorce, what do you do expect a Christains with sincere convictions on the other side of the cultural divide to do?

When I was young my grandmother once lectured me on not judging people. She said, "God loves all of his creations. Why would you choose otherwise? It is up to God to judge others. He only asks that we love our fellow man." So when my fellow Christians talk about thier convictions I think to myself would Jesus denounce someone for being gay or different in some way? Or would he try to include them as he did the Gentiles?

Scouting is about skills, community, responsibility, and the belief in God.

I read about Trail Life and my first thought was the BSA should go to court and get injunctions against this group. How DARE they just change the names of things and think they have a "new" program. They even have a conversion (ha ha, not!) chart for changing BSA ranks, etc. to Trail Life equivalents. It's a copy cat program and National should sue them. It's fine to have your own group if you have sincere differences of opinion, but have some originality. Don't copy because you don't have enough creativity to come up with your own ranks and badges.