Where do I find a list of historic trails mention in this article?

http://scoutingmagazine.org/2014/02/need-know-earning-historic-trails-award/

"ARE THERE NATIONALLY APPROVED HISTORIC TRAILS? Yes. More than 300 trails have been approved. The BSA recommends that hikers use only the historic trails that have been nationally approved."

I am looking for trails in Michigan.

Where do I find a list of historic trails mention in this article?

http://scoutingmagazine.org/2014/02/...-trails-award/

"ARE THERE NATIONALLY APPROVED HISTORIC TRAILS? Yes. More than 300 trails have been approved. The BSA recommends that hikers use only the historic trails that have been nationally approved."

I am looking for trails in Michigan.

The local council is responsible for supplying the medals (unless they got cheap and switched to patches, or got really cheap and offer neither) to the parks, so you should start by calling the Michigan councils.

• 5 months later...

This "BSA approved" stuff is a joke. (No offense to Costal Carolina BSA. They are no doubt doing their level best.) There are some terrific walking paths in Western PA, none of which are recorded here. (Many of them touch upon Native American life or the Whiskey Rebellion, but some more recent ones recall the good and bad of the industrial revolution (e.g., Eliza Furnace, Rachel Carson). In all likelihood the best trail for you and your unit to set foot upon is not on any of these links.

I would encourage everybody interested in this award to contact their local historical societies and ask them about good walking paths that would help their youth touch upon some great American experience. Community libraries are often rife with such references. The majority of you will probably find that the best hike for your youth will not be listed or "certified" on some national site.

"All politics is local." - Tip O'Neal.

[quote=qwazse;n414915

I would encourage everybody interested in this award to contact their local historical societies and ask them about good walking paths that would help their youth touch upon some great American experience. Community libraries are often rife with such references. The majority of you will probably find that the best hike for your youth will not be listed or "certified" on some national site.

Totally agree. There is a form somewhere in Scouting where a local trail can get on the "approved" list. Why would they want to do this? To get all that free labor on conservation projects. The things we are willing to do for a patch or ribbon

Interestingly there is "controversy" over "all politics is local." "“All politics is local†was used by Washington AP bureau chief Byron Price in 1932. Tip O’Neill first used the term in 1935, when he entered politics."

Now that you mention it... The US of A has had four capitals: Philadelphia PA, New York NY , Washington DC., and Brookeville MD.....

http://uscapitalforaday.org/

Y'all come down and visit....

Historic Trails are where you find 'em and where folks have noted their significance. BSA does not have a lock on any trail's notoriety. You can even create your own patch to commemorate a trails hike. I know of an Eagle project that did just that.

• Upvote 1