National Camping Award

I know this award is cancelled. However Scout Stuff still list it although they say local council needs to approve paperwork.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/national-camping-250-nights-days-emblem.html

Are these awards cancelled or can you still earn them depending on the local council? My son and I were talking about it and we thought it might be nice to track how much camping we do and earn them. This of course was before I saw that they were cancelled and replaced with the National Outdoor challenge awards which I believe is only for the scouts.

Also if this award is completely gone could troops make their own camping and hiking awards? There is a local patch making company that could make the patches reasonable price. Obviously this would have the same importance as a national award but we have some scouts and scouters in our pack who like to do these to earn patches.

Also if this award is completely gone could troops make their own camping and hiking awards? There is a local patch making company that could make the patches reasonable price. Obviously this would have the same importance as a national award but we have some scouts and scouters in our pack who like to do these to earn patches.
Awards like these come and go. I'll leave that discussion to someone else. But the answer to the latter part of your question is yes, you can drum up a unit camping award. Have the boys meet with the company rep and come up with a design they'd be proud to wear. (Give them a budget first!) The trick is to make it look unique and something you could only get by being part of your unit, but still be recognizable as honoring something that anyone would be proud to accomplish.

Frankly, I think local awards like these are really special.