Membership Continues Decline

Free market..........

The boys and families don't want Citizenship, Religion, Duty or Responsibility in their lives. They want face book candy crush and ipads for immediate gratification.........

So maybe I will see the end of the BSA in my life time....... Maybe that white elephant in West Virginia will kill it. $250 for 4 days at the summit.....really.......might be small potatos for some folks but that is 25% more than I pay for 6 days of summer camp.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The gay issue is a red herring of membership woes. There are no gay cubscouts, they haven't hit puberty yet. Until a Boy Scout hits puberty he can't be gay. Once the boy realizes he does not like gir

A big problem is how our society has become very risk-adverse and litigious. It's not just boy scouts. Remember the chemistry sets we had as kids? Try to buy one now (sets today basically are chemical

Here is a personal example. When my oldest (now 23 years old) wanted to be a Cub Scout I signed him up. The next year, I was my second son's Tiger partner. The next year my wife signed me up to be a W

When I was a scout, I didn't want citizenship or religion either. In isolation, most kids don't want to spend their time off on that. I wanted adventure and fun.

I was very gung-ho to start. I tolerated those things because I recognized that were necessary to advance. I wanted to advance because I enjoyed scouting and wanted to move along in it. Being Star or Life was the goal - not earning Citizenship in the Community. Eventually, I ran out of steam on Scouting itself. I became disillusioned with the silly rules and structure. Once I did, advancement became meaningless to me. I ended up taking time off, but went back a year or two later. I didn't last.

That was 30 years ago.

The challenge I see is that we've not collectively figured out what makes scouting fun. As such, you've got a mixed message that is muddled. So, you get a very uneven program.

A big problem is how our society has become very risk-adverse and litigious. It's not just boy scouts. Remember the chemistry sets we had as kids? Try to buy one now (sets today basically are chemical free). Want to fly model rockets? Think again (here in California at least it's difficult, though not impossible - it requires a permit and most parks ban them even with a permit). Buy some sparklers for the 4th? Not here at least. Want to climb a tree? Not without a safety harness! (My parents had a huge camphor tree in the front yard. I fondly remember spending hours in that tree with half the neighbor hood kids playing tag, sailing ships, swinging on ropes - it was the best climbing tree I've ever seen. I cried when it died of sudden oak death and they had to cut it down. It's trunk was eight feet wide.).

Today it's all about minimize risk, cover your butt, assume the worst, that looks scary, don't do that, don't forget the paperwork. It makes adventure and challenge hard to do. That is why outdoor challengers are often replaced with book challenges, those are easier to do.

• Upvote 2
Your correct Huzzar sorry about that. Either way who would have excepted him of being a pedophilia? He had children and a wife he was a good family man who helped out in his community. The question is if he was a pedophilia who can you trust? That is the real danger and threat to the boys not some openly gay adult leader.
I am done with this conversation. I didn't call you stupid I said you were purposely being obtuse. You are refusing to see my points so I will not continue this meaningless conversation.
Your correct Huzzar sorry about that. Either way who would have excepted him of being a pedophilia? He had children and a wife he was a good family man who helped out in his community. The question is if he was a pedophilia who can you trust? That is the real danger and threat to the boys not some openly gay adult leader.
If you don't know the meaning of a word then don't use it.

ob·tuse adjective \äb-ˈtüs, əb-, -ˈtyüs\

: stupid or unintelligent : not able to think clearly or to understand what is obvious or simple

Huzzar, you might want to know that words can mean more than one thing:

b : difficult to comprehend : not clear or precise in thought or expression

How does b apply in the context of this discussion? We disagree on why Sandusky got a pass, nothing more. I think I've been pretty darn clear it's because of his association with PSU, not that he was beyond suspicion because he was a married man with kids. And once more for the record, the police were called over 15 years ago because he diddled a 10 year old in the shower. PSU chose not to revoke his showering with kiddies privileges back then and Louise Freeh says it was because they were more concerned with PSU Football's reputation than the kid's safety.