Scout or Adults in ECOH

I attended an ECOH this weekend, and most of the high exposure speaking parts were done by adults not scouts. The MC was a scout but the Eagle Charge, Meaning of the Eagle Award, Eagle Rank Requirements, and the scout's Trail to Eagle were all given by adults.

Got me wondering why. The scout's Trail to Eagle, at least in our Troop, is the story of the boy's scouting experience usually given by a scouter important to the scout. But it seems to me the other parts of the ceremony could just as well be done by a scout.

How do your troops do this? Does anyone know if there are any actual rules or guidelines?

In my former troop, the SM did the whole ceremony. In my troop, I never left the audience except when the boys presented me with their mentor pins. The only time an adult went forward was when they were invited, i.e. parents, mentors, etc.

Stosh

in our Troop it is up to the Scout and parents to decide all about the program. My son's had an ASM MC, Eagle charge by a youth, and most of the rest was spoken by his SM. No, there are no rules or guidelines, it is simply a celebration done in whatever way the Scout and family want to do it!!

It's up to the scout, and therefore is often based on CoH's that he's already seen. I try to encourage scouts to think out-of-the-box, but most of our boys like an adult Master of Ceremony, a youth Sergeant at Arms, and a mixture of adult and youth participants.

For a recent one, a boy's sister (also a Venturer) offered some special music. That was nice.

Bottom line: Have fun, honor the Eagle, don't sweat the details.

Kinda have to decide whether this ceremony is going to be a scout event or a family event.

Generally most ECOH's are just free-for-alls.

Stosh

I tried my hardest to get a couple of boys to have their ECoH together in a panel discussion format. I'd put them, the SM, maybe a couple of junior ASMs in the "hot seats", and have the MoC collect questions from the audience.
Kinda have to decide whether this ceremony is going to be a scout event or a family event.

Generally most ECOH's are just free-for-alls.

Stosh

When I was in the ministry, the worst thing I ever had to do were weddings. Nobody was happy with anything. About the only thing that was the same was the bride ended up crying at the rehearsal.

Since then I have always viewed ECOH's in the same category. If at all possible stay as far away as possible. I now sit in the audience and come forward only when asked.

Stosh

Yep, while most ECOH's I've seen were adult run, I've seen one or two where it was youth run, and in one case 100% OA run.

Me personally mine had a mix of adults and youth. I had an adult MC, but youth had major speaking parts. One thing I tried to do, although it didn't work out, was get Eagles who had influenced me to do the "roast" the Eagle Challenge, and the Eagle Charge. There were 4 Eagles I wanted there, but only 1 showed up, and just barely. The one who showed up, the SPL when I first became a PL, had just gotten home from Iraq a few days earlier. 2nd Eagle, who also was my SPL when I was a PL, was still overseas.

Now the last two, well let's just say they put college rivalry first. Would not speak to me that semester due to me taking NROTC at their rival university. Which actually worked out better since A) all they did was push and push me to get Eagle instead of having fun, and B) I felt obligated to include them since it was my uncle and cousin. I was able to use some of the Eagles in the audience, and it was hilarious when the first Eagle had just finished roasting me, ending with comments how I really deserved Eagle, only to arise a few seconds later challenge me. :)