Churches Evicting Troops, and a new organization

One has to always remember with the different religious groups that there is always a major disconnect between their theology and their traditions. Religious organizations that rely more on tradition than theology always have a more difficult time theologically accepting people of a different traditions. Currently I am involved with 4 different "christian" theologically based organizations that would rather sling arrows at each other than pray together. :) This is why I am involved with them but not a member of any. "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God." Matthew 5:8-10, isn't in any of their tradition radars, but it is part of all of their theology. Heck, most "chrisitian" organizations fight with themselves as much as they do others!

These break-away groups are nothing more than a continuation of the fragmentation they seem to enjoy the most. It's just another way to say, "I'm better than the rest of you." I'm thinking TLUSA and AHG fall into that category, at least that's what their media PR seems to be saying.

Stosh

Or more explicitly put: "We have all the right answers, you don't."

Stosh

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, I've been trying to decide what to think about Trail Life, not that it matters much. But I've decided that I really like Trail Life and I'm really glad it's been formed. When I think about

I've only met two Scouts who went to a Trail Life unit. The gay issue was a cover for people dissatisfied with the BSA to start a strictly Christian. Youth group.

I don't think their oath is that similar. But even if it was, it's not like the BSA can claim that for their own. The original oath and law were written by Baden-Powell in his 1908 Scouting for Boys b

One has to always remember with the different religious groups that there is always a major disconnect between their theology and their traditions. Religious organizations that rely more on tradition than theology always have a more difficult time theologically accepting people of a different traditions. Currently I am involved with 4 different "christian" theologically based organizations that would rather sling arrows at each other than pray together. :) This is why I am involved with them but not a member of any. "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God." Matthew 5:8-10, isn't in any of their tradition radars, but it is part of all of their theology. Heck, most "chrisitian" organizations fight with themselves as much as they do others!

These break-away groups are nothing more than a continuation of the fragmentation they seem to enjoy the most. It's just another way to say, "I'm better than the rest of you." I'm thinking TLUSA and AHG fall into that category, at least that's what their media PR seems to be saying.

Stosh

...or as it's been explained to me and my children, they are going to heaven and my children and I are going to experience a 'warmer climate', lol.

You know, I've been trying to decide what to think about Trail Life, not that it matters much.

But I've decided that I really like Trail Life and I'm really glad it's been formed. When I think about all those times I was invited to leave BSA and form my own group, it seems like some COs and scouters decided to do just that and I'm glad they have stuck to their convictions, even while I disagree with them on those convictions. But the best part about this is that if they DO move over to Trail Life, that will reduce the BSA membership to those who either agree with greater inclusiveness in BSA membership policy or else are tolerant of it. Either way, Trail Life makes it even more likely that someday ALL boys regardless of background or beliefs, even lack thereof, will be welcome in this organization.

In this sense, Trail Life may facilitate the transition for BSA and that is good.

• Upvote 2
You know, I've been trying to decide what to think about Trail Life, not that it matters much.

But I've decided that I really like Trail Life and I'm really glad it's been formed. When I think about all those times I was invited to leave BSA and form my own group, it seems like some COs and scouters decided to do just that and I'm glad they have stuck to their convictions, even while I disagree with them on those convictions. But the best part about this is that if they DO move over to Trail Life, that will reduce the BSA membership to those who either agree with greater inclusiveness in BSA membership policy or else are tolerant of it. Either way, Trail Life makes it even more likely that someday ALL boys regardless of background or beliefs, even lack thereof, will be welcome in this organization.

In this sense, Trail Life may facilitate the transition for BSA and that is good.

I never thought of it that way, and I agree with you. However, you still have all the none Protestants who are against the new policy. Though if an organization survived for this long I doubt these issues could destroy it. It would be interesting to see the national membership archives from when the BSA started, just to look at the breakdown and the change of membership.

Nextgenscouter1, that would be interesting. Remember though that prior to the last decade or so, there were abundant units chartered by public schools. Now, with a little more inclusiveness, BSA could regain what they lost and shed all the controversy...let all that discrimination find a more suitable home in Trail Life.

Stosh

Tempting for all of us who are a little ice-weary. ;)

Good point. The more people move to TL, the less resistance there will be to finishing the job and letting gay parents be leaders in their kids' pack/troop. Maybe TL is making things easier for everyone.

It's worth mentioning also that a lot of people did leave the BSA when invited to do so and form a new group that allowed gay scouts and leaders. That group is the Baden-Powell Service Association.

I have a good friend who was the scoutmaster of a troop of 18 boys charted thru a Christian school. As soon as the gay issue was voted upon the troop was dissolved. Only 2 scouts joined other troops the rest just quit scouting.

I have a good friend who was the scoutmaster of a troop of 18 boys charted thru a Christian school. As soon as the gay issue was voted upon the troop was dissolved. Only 2 scouts joined other troops the rest just quit scouting.

my, what a wonderful service that CO did for those boys. Saved them from the mere possibility of having to interact with a gay person, and at the same time gave them alot more free time

/sarcasm

As easy as it would be to blame the CO for this troop dissolving, in cases like this where you've got almost 90% of the kids not even willing to give another troop a shot there are clearly other issues going on.

So it'll get blamed on the policy, or maybe the CO, even though 16 out of 18 kids didn't really want to be there even before the vote. And the majority of the parents also seemingly didn't want to bother. I have to wonder if anyone even took half an hour to make some phone calls and see if it would even be possible to secure a new CO.

That troop quit on those kids. Probably years ago.

chrisking: the old membership standard matched the Christian school's standard, the new one didn't. Get over it. My guess is that the youth that were in Scouts at a Christian school are now involved in missions and the church's other youth groups. Choice, right?

How old was the troop? It may have started because it admired the bold counter-cultural stance of BSA's membership standards. The seeming erosion of those standards makes it look like any other group. Well if they are like any other group, then value is lost. Asking more money for something of less value ... that's not a recipe for growth.

Hopefully CO's of some 50,000 youth will find value in the BSA where they hadn't before, but I suspect it will take a few years to find them.

Well, I looked a little farther and found this: http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140211/PC16/140219833 These two units were evicted out of 212 units in that council. But that area is what we call the 'low country' and it leans heavily toward 'Bible Belt' status. There is no mention of Trail Life and the evicted units appear to be finding other quarters. Not much impact so far, it seems.
Columbia area I think