Family FOS presentation

hey all, I was persuaded to give our family FOS presentation at our next pack meeting during district roundtable last night. I don't know how comfortable I feel giving public speeches I am yet. Can anyone give me any tips?

Whatever you do, don't pretend they're in their underwear! That always goes bad. ;)

The best thing to do: practice. Ask a friend (preferably a scouter who has seen these done) to come to your house and give your presentation to him/her. If you have time, ask for a chance to practice it on different days. Invite an additional friend each day.

There are lots of "dos" and "don'ts" in professional guides, but they can be overwhelming to remember and sometimes they miss the mark because they aren't written for the group you are speaking to. Your friends (assuming they are in the pack too) will know exactly what it's like to sit and listen to these things, and will help you with just what you need to get by.

Plus, if they are willing to turn in their card early, you could use that in your presentation: "A couple families have already pledged, will you join them?"

I'll just give you a couple tips:

1. Know your material. If you act like you know everything about what your talking about, then they'll think exactly that.

2. Look around the room and make eye contact with everybody at least once. If you focus on a particular person or are constantly reading off a piece of paper, the quality of your speech will be degraded.

As we magicians say: "Performance is just as (if not more in some cases) important as the effect."

Thanks for the tips so far. I should mention our DE informed us she was not going to be able to attend our meeting and give the presentation on Thursday night. and our meeting is this sunday. Now mind you, the last time I sat a FOS pitch was back when I was a webelo in the early/mid 90s. I'm a little spooked, but I received our unit guide to FOS, I'm currently reading it for any info I need, and am working on writing the piece I want to give.

Well, its over. I think it went well for my first time. Once I got up there I felt as comfortable as could be. It was far from a perfect speech however, My head was stuck down in my notes most of the time, and I stammered a bit. but I think I did a good job getting the parents to understand the benefits of donating to FOS by visualizing that the memories and skills that boys earn from scout camp lasts a lifetime. It got some donations at least.

• Upvote 1

My most effective FOS presentations are 1) short & 2) personal. The council may give you lots of facts and figures to spout. Know the most important two or three points. Let the brochure or handout cover most of the rest of the stuff. Tell a personal story about how Scouting and camp have had an important impact in your life, or that of your son. Let that story talk for you about why your families should support Scouting. Keep it to ten minutes - max. Tell them you'll be glad to answer questions at the back of the room. Do try and collect the Cubmaster's or Committee Chair pledge card in front of the families, so they can see that the pack leadership supports the campaign.

My most effective FOS presentations are 1) short & 2) personal. The council may give you lots of facts and figures to spout. Know the most important two or three points. Let the brochure or handout cover most of the rest of the stuff. Tell a personal story about how Scouting and camp have had an important impact in your life' date=' or that of your son. Let that story talk for you about why your families should support Scouting. Keep it to ten minutes - max. Tell them you'll be glad to answer questions at the back of the room. Do try and collect the Cubmaster's or Committee Chair pledge card in front of the families, so they can see that the pack leadership supports the campaign.[/quote']

good Idea for next year. Once I step up to CM, I think I will make it a part of my speech that I personally put my donation in! I will encourage the rest of the leadership to give also!

thanks for the tips.

• Upvote 1