2 uniforms or just 1.... and just how active is a typical troop CC in troop outings?

Back story:

I'm the ACM for my son's pack. Really acting more like a general committee member, chairman, secretary, paperwork pusher and communications chair.... not so much CM stuff.

I might be defaulted into the CM role next year even though I don't see that as a personal strength....

Anyway my son & I were talking about options as he gets older in scouting...... it was all him, not me leading the conversation....

He understands that he can roll into boy scouts after webelos, but he was asking me ho long he can stay in scouts, all about the ranks up to eagle, etc........ and I was explaining it, and also telling him about the option for venturing, troop structures, boy led, and all of that....

At some point he says to me that he wants me to continue doing what I'm doing, "being a leader", as he crosses over. Gotta say that made me happy. but I secretly wondered if he's say the same thing in a couple years....

OK, so my CO's Scout Master has asked me to sign on as CC for the troop. he's the pack's CC and we are trying to strengthen the tie between the parish's units.

So, as I'm just starting to get into this role..... Is there much need in my getting a troop shirt?

and my more long term question....

If I stay in that role when my son crosses over, how much involvement does the typical troop cc have in troop activities? Beyond the committee meetings and paperwork, do some CC's get involved with troop camping trips, meetings, etc...?

Looks like you have some time management decisions in your future. In our unit (ASM/crew advisors talking) ...

CC can uniform however he/she sees fit. Do the work, earn our respect. Period.

A CC that gussies up but creates unnecessary drama, earns our disrespect.

CC is definitely welcome on any of our outings that he/she can make. Now in your case, with a boy crossing over, you might have to put up with a little coaching to keep your distance. But, we expect our CC to get to know our older boys by name and position and greet them when he/she's around for meetings. Then get to know any parents who stick around meetings. (I.e., run interference for us.) Then on outings take time at the water's edge to make sure the fish are still biting, and make sure the stars are properly counted in the evening, etc .... So, you'd be kept pretty busy. Again, field uniform or flannel shirt ... up to you.

National sells a Troop Committee Chair emblem, which must, unless my logic is completely flawed, imply the Troop Committee Chair should be wearing the Boy Scout Uniform. The uniform is one of the methods of Scouting. As an adult, there should never be a question whether you wear a t-shirt and jeans to a meeting of the uniform. Lead by example, if we're questioning whether to wear it, so are the Scouts we're serving...

Grant you I have a bunch of uniforms, but I did see one guy with a baggie in his pocket with the different colored loops, different unit numbers, POR patches. He used velcro.

BUT beprepared for some joking due to the velcro :) We had a scout in my troop growing up whose mom did the same thing with his rank badges. Only rank sewn on was his Eagle.

My Pack Uniform says Pack Committee Chair. Our Troop CC wears a uniform every week to the Troop meetings with a Troop Committee Chair Patch.

Adult leaders should be in uniform. Our treasurer doesn't wear one, but she's in her Girl Scout Uniform since she's also the Girl Scout Leader. :)

National sells a Troop Committee Chair emblem, which must, unless my logic is completely flawed, imply the Troop Committee Chair should be wearing the Boy Scout Uniform. The uniform is one of the methods of Scouting. As an adult, there should never be a question whether you wear a t-shirt and jeans to a meeting of the uniform. Lead by example, if we're questioning whether to wear it, so are the Scouts we're serving...
That's thoroughly bogus. My CC was always a dress shirt and tie person. Didn't even own a uniform. Now that I think of it, not a single MC did. We boys never questioned the notion that a boy should wear anything but a scout uniform when acting as a scout.

That said, it is nice at roundtable to know positions by the uniforms.

Yes, all true.

I agree with what is said about uniforming, setting the example, and all of that.

I guess my real question though is more concerning how much time is spent by the average CC at meetings.... not the committee mtgs, but the troop meetings or outings with youth in attendance

Our pack's CC is the Scoutmaster. He runs the committee mtgs which we typically hold separate from the boys, and not in uniform since it's done after work one evening during the week..... but the program is run by the CM, ACM, and DL's there's really no need for him to be around. he does visit on rare occasion, wearing his SM shirt.... but that's all.

Since I'm a pack person, and the troop is newly.... well let's say "refurbished", I have no troop model to build off of. I have no memory of a troop CC in my short time in scouting as a youth many moons ago.

So, for those of you with smooth running troops with good CC relationships, how much direct involvement does the typical CC have with the youth? How often do they visit the meetings?

Yes, all true.

I agree with what is said about uniforming, setting the example, and all of that.

I guess my real question though is more concerning how much time is spent by the average CC at meetings.... not the committee mtgs, but the troop meetings or outings with youth in attendance

Our pack's CC is the Scoutmaster. He runs the committee mtgs which we typically hold separate from the boys, and not in uniform since it's done after work one evening during the week..... but the program is run by the CM, ACM, and DL's there's really no need for him to be around. he does visit on rare occasion, wearing his SM shirt.... but that's all.

Since I'm a pack person, and the troop is newly.... well let's say "refurbished", I have no troop model to build off of. I have no memory of a troop CC in my short time in scouting as a youth many moons ago.

So, for those of you with smooth running troops with good CC relationships, how much direct involvement does the typical CC have with the youth? How often do they visit the meetings?

Our current CC (whose son graduated a couple years ago) tries to make it to as many meetings as possible. That usually means about 2/3. It behooves him to get to know the families of every boy to a degree, because -- at the very least -- he is responsible for completing the charter. Also, as each boy advances, they have a board of review, usually 3 committee members and often includes the CC. If the boys are all advancing a rank or more a year, that could keep you pretty busy if you are just a committee of three.
Yes, all true.

I recommend the uniform. I also recommend taking Scoutmaster Specific Training (so you'll understand what the SMs and ASMs are doing) as well as Troop Committee Challenge.

That will give you an idea of how much you should be involved at activities.

Also, just ask the Scoutmaster....

I compltely for got this uniform option. I remember seeing one CC wearing the dress uniform, aka professional uniform, or blue blazer, "barber shop tie," white shirt, grey pants, and BSA coat insignia .
ahhh.... tie..... umm, no thanks.

Do the pants have cargo pockets?

That aint for me!

But thanks for the idea though. It's a great idea, for the other guy! :)