OA and Venture Crews

• 3 weeks later...

jpstodwftexas, where are you seeing adults in regalia' this is an express violation of National OA policy. Only youth may wear regalia as part of the OA program ... period. If adults are appearing in regalia, this needs reported to the Council Executive immediately, and stopped (See Below).

You're correct that there are male and female dance styles, based on Nation and Band. However, to honor native tradition, we would have to have "separate but equal" programs, segregated by gender ... I don't see that flying.

And further discussion in GTI:

Members' Uniforms

All members attending an Order of the Arrow ceremony should wear the Order of the Arrow sash and be in correct Scout uniform. Only youth members under the age of 21 who are participating as a principal or an assistant in the ceremony are allowed to wear American Indian costumes. Youth that do not have a part in the ceremony and all adults should be in complete Scout uniform with their Order of the Arrow sash and must not be in American Indian costumes or wearing pieces of American Indian regalia.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Yours in Service,

Ray (Ray Capp - National OA Chairman)

Please note adult members can neither participate as a principal, or assistant, in any OA ceremony (Including AOL, Call Outs, and the Vigil Call Out).

You're correct that there are male and female dance styles' date=' based on Nation and Band. However, to honor native tradition, we would have to have "separate but equal" programs, segregated by gender ... I don't see that flying. [/quote'] I see co-ed youth approaching NA tribes about how a mixed-sex group should honor indigenous celebration as a positive. Many of the tribes near us are matriarchal. It might spark a good dialogue, and might engender more respect for women's roles in pre-European culture.

Maybe I'm wrong on how this would play out, it's happened before :) My fear is some young ladies will not want separate but equal, and will decide to challenge things legally. Qwazse, I'm interesting in learning more about these matriarchal groups, rather then side track the thread can you message me information?