How much camping do you do?

Here we rarely camp for more than a long weekend although (partly due to this forum) I am now running an annual longer camp 4-7 days. Our weather is tentable all year round. Also there is the Jamboree every 3 years.

My Troop has still managed 16 nights so far this year, 19 for those off to Jamboree and another two nights this month to wrap up the year. Three of those night were Patrol camps (three patrols out at different locations) without direct adult supervision.

That is a camp every month excluding Jan and Dec (Our summer holiday).

Not trying to boast here. Just wanting to compare and Im sure Ill be beaten quickly.

How many nights do you do? We only count tent camping but given your weather cabins are in for this poll.

The troop my son is in camps year round with the exception of December. In December, they have an indoor swim night. Our weather varies, so it's not uncommon to camp on ice in the winter and to toast in the summer. January is cabin camping with the Webelos; February and usually one other month are cabin camping for skiing and white water rafting trips; June or July is summer camp lasting six to nine nights; other months are usually two nights in tents but can be extended if held on holiday weekends. Since February & bridging, my son has had the opportunity to camp 11 nights in tents and 6 nights in cabins. He missed two trips, and one was cancelled; so for the troop in general, this number would be 7 nights more by tent for a total of 18 nights by tent and 6 nights by cabin. The nice thing about these trips is that the activities vary: skiing, fishing, hiking, biking, white water rafting, rapelling, canoeing to an island for one, summer camp sometimes in Canada.

Outing every month which equals 20 days in tents, 4 days in cabins Jan. and Feb. Jan. is usually the "junk campout" Feb is usually skiing.

Add at least 2 sometimes more, for Winterall, Webelos campout, a Camporee or Camporall.

6 nights for summer camp.

5 to 7 nights for High Adventure. Troop usually does 2 to 3 High Adventure per year. Some Scouts do 2 of the High Adventures but they usually skip summer camp if they are doing 2 high adventures.

We camp one weekend a month except for Summer camp month which is a week long camp. December is usually a lock in at the local YMCA which includes prospective Webelos. We normally do 2 weeklong High Adventure activities. No recent history of Patrol camping.

yis

Lets see, from april 2003 - jan 2004 (our current scout year)

"passing" group camp in tents at the beginig of the year 2 nights - 3 days

Winter group camp in cabins 2 nights - 3 days

Spring troop camp 1 night - 2 days (usually adventure camp, yerbaloca (3400 masl) this year)

Group birthday camp in tents and usually 2 nights - 3 days (cancelled this year)

Summer troop raid 4 nights - 5 days (prior to summer camp)

Summer group camp 15 nights - 15 days (the troop arrives to base camp at the end of it's first raid)

So we have about 24 nights - 31 days

(This message has been edited by nivipi)

We camp a weekend a month for 10 months out of the year.

Scout Camp is 7 days long. We haven't had one since two years ago due to Typhoons.

Then we have our Unit's Holiday Campout between Chrismas and New Years. That's about 7-8 days.

On average about 34 days a year, if, of course, there are no typhoons.

This Year, we are currently at 14 days. Were still recovering from last year's typhoons.

We just had Typhoon "Liput" pass South of the island earlier today.

Matua

Our troop usually does about 9 - 10 weekend camping trips per year plus a week a summer camp. Usually we do an indoor sleepover ski trip either January or Febuary. The other months we tent camp year round, including a snowshoe trip in the winter in northern New England where there is reliable snow. The last two were respectable, but liveable, temps at least stayed above zero. Three years ago we had the winter trip turn into a survival excercise with temperatures dipping to -30F overnight. Since then we have tried to avoid such extremes, but those that went on that trip still talk about it.

We have also started doing a 3-5 day trip outside of summer camp in August. Last year we went to Gettysburg and did the Heritage Trails Medal. A great trip. This year we are going to northern Maine to do some whitewater rafting and climb Mt. Kahtahdin(highest point in Maine). These last two trips are something I have organized to try and get the troop out of their routine of camping in places they know and to explore a little bit. They have gone over very well and word has gotten back to the Cub Packs in town that we do these types of trips and it has helped recruiting. While not quite high adventure these trips expand the horizens of the troop. Some of the older scouts are talking about backpacking in the spring.

SA

Since each Patrol in our Troop camps differently, I went through my calender to figure out my son's schedule this past year.

January - 4 nights - tent

February - 2 nights - cabin

March - 4 nights - tent

April - 6 nights - tent (although one was spent in the car because they arrived so late)

May - 2 nights - tent

June - 4 nights - tent

July - 2 nights + 6 nights summer camp - all tent

August - 8 nights - tent

September - 2 nights, plus one Patrol campout that got cancelled for lack of interest

October - 4 nights - tent

November - 2 nights - tent

December (planned) 2 nights - cabin

total = 43 nights in tents, 4 in cabins and 1 in a car. They also did a week trip to D.C. where they stayed in a hotel. And I get to brag that probably 18 - 20 of these nights were arranged by my son as PL, either of his Patrol or of the temporary crew put together for whitewater, climbing, etc. He also was the one who had the idea for the campout that got cancelled, too. I was really hurt that no one wanted to go, but he finally understood that anyone who has lots of ideas has a bad one once in a while.

Mark