Wow, that is such a sad state of affairs. That is horrible.

We have a FB page that is closed and private, we haven't had issues with that. We do get people asking to be members that are clearly spam that I can deny access.

Well, that's my point with the BSA policy you linked, which clearly states that all unit FBs must be public pages, not private groups. Our group is also private now. I can delete negative comments all day long, but that doesn't stop the boys from seeing them in the interim.

The parts about email and PMs/IMs is just as well-intentioned but misguided. If a person wants/needs to know what I said to a scout in an email, I can pull it up for the or the scout can. If a false accusation is made, it is dead on arrival for the same reason. FB messages in particular cannot be deleted.

It isn't a matter of principle for me that I don't copy-in another adult or parent, there's just no need, so I don't unless I want to make sure the scout gets the message before a certain time and think I can achieve that by including a parent.

The BSA's stance is nonsensical because it treats emails and FB messages--which are retrievable forever--differently than telephone calls, which can never be retrieved. Or (serious question) is it also the BSA's opinion that if I call a scout or a scout calls me I'm supposed to hold until their mom picks up on the other handset?

So, for example, when a new scout takes on the position of responsibility that I work with, then I send him an email with his responsibilities, and what specific things I expect him to do over the next 6 mos. I copy in parents, the SM, and the SPL because they also need to know that. But 3 weeks later when I need to tell the scout "hey, make sure you do X this week" or tell the SPL "hey make sure Johnny does X this week" I don't copy in anyone--there's no point.

Basically think of YPT working on the internet as well. You should never email, private message, or instant message a scout directly on a one on one basis.

I've asked this before and never received a solid response. If this interpretation is accurate, then shouldn't you also conclude that telephone conversations are prohibited without someone else listening in on the line? So I should turn myself in for a YPT violation for the brief discussion I had the other night with our SPL to decide whether or not to cancel the meeting because of a late afternoon snowstorm? Scouts shouldn't call merit badge counselors to arrange meetings without someone else present on the phone call?

This is quite a stretch.

Basically think of YPT working on the internet as well. You should never email, private message, or instant message a scout directly on a one on one basis.

I've asked this before and never received a solid response. If this interpretation is accurate, then shouldn't you also conclude that telephone conversations are prohibited without someone else listening in on the line? So I should turn myself in for a YPT violation for the brief discussion I had the other night with our SPL to decide whether or not to cancel the meeting because of a late afternoon snowstorm? Scouts shouldn't call merit badge counselors to arrange meetings without someone else present on the phone call?

This is quite a stretch.

The interpretation is not accurate. Period.

Copying a parents whenever possible is a good idea. Calling the house phone is a good idea. Using devices to only communicate professionally, or arrange a face-to-face is a good idea (and, an important one for the 18-20 ASMs). But in common-sense situations where that doesn't happen, it is in no way a YPT violation.

Like I said, I am not a lawyer. This was how our group including the Key 3 interpreted it. Obviously, we all have to do our best for the boys. They are guidelines not laws. Therefor we should use them as a starting point for our actions, we as leaders make decisions to best run our unit. They are there to help us attempt to do the right thing and protect all of us.

BTW, this is a great discussion. I love the open exchanging of ideas and feedback. It is so much nicer here than on other forums where people go rabid when their idea isn't chosen as best.
Always helps to keep in mind that any of you might be in the adjacent campsite with a good meal stewing when I'm hungry (and sharp knives and axes when I'm sleeping :0 ),

I don't accept Facebook requests from scouts, mostly because I don't care to share my Facebook posts with my scouts. I also don't just accept every adult request, I restrict my "friends" to a pretty small group of family members and actual close friends. The other reason I don't have scouts as friends is because I really don't want to wade through all the inanities that kid's Facebook posts can be. I monitored my own kids FB stuff for a while and was struck by the sheer volume of drivel.

I don't accept Facebook requests from scouts' date=' mostly because I don't care to share my Facebook posts with my scouts. I also don't just accept every adult request, I restrict my "friends" to a pretty small group of family members and actual close friends. The other reason I don't have scouts as friends is because I really don't want to wade through all the inanities that kid's Facebook posts can be. I monitored my own kids FB stuff for a while and was struck by the sheer volume of drivel.[/quote']

Thankfully, none of my scouts can legally have a facebook account since you need to be 13 or older. For under 13, there are actually laws about internet sites but I know nothing about those.

I only accept friends from people I would normally count as friends in real life. I also unfriend people that just annoy me with their views that are just plain annoying, I'll never understand why people think that others want to know their political views.