Venturing YPT Adult Leadership Training for Troop

We have recently formed an all girl Venturing Crew as part of our Troop. The adult Advisor and Assistant Advisors are YPT and VYPT trained. Assume that Crew members will not attend any Troop event without one or more Venturing leader(s) in attendance. For events that the Crew will participate in with the Troop, do all registered adult leaders of the Troop participating in the event also have to be VYPT too?

Is there any BSA literature that can provide guidance?

BSA has no specific recommendation on this issue.

Organizationally, you are two units under the same roof (i.e. the chartered organization).

YPT should be sufficient for your adults primarily with the troop; and VYPT, for adults primarily with the crew.

I have certainly used chaperones with YPT training on my co-ed crew outings and have not asked them to take VYPT.

When it comes time to recharter and you have adults who have been involved with both units and need to re-update, either course will do, but encourage them to take the one they did not taken last time.

By the way, thanks to your advisor for taking this on. It's a wild ride!

• Downvote 1

Quazse,

Has the YPT / VYPT problem finally been fixed in SCOUTNET? I know a few years back, Venturing leaders still needed regular Youth Protection Training AND Venturing YPT. Don't ask me why, but some type of programming glitch.

Quazse,

Has the YPT / VYPT problem finally been fixed in SCOUTNET? I know a few years back, Venturing leaders still needed regular Youth Protection Training AND Venturing YPT. Don't ask me why, but some type of programming glitch.

Last time it wasn't a problem.

Before that, I just reminded my DE that Venturers have boundary issues and asked her to respectfully "override" any stupid flags that don't accommodate the full range of options allowed by policy.

And how does the VYPT apply to the Venturers that are 18+ years old? Do they need to take it because they are adults and they are hanging out with minors?

Once one starts out with double-standards, it makes for quite a quagmire down the road.

Stosh

And how does the VYPT apply to the Venturers that are 18+ years old? Do they need to take it because they are adults and they are hanging out with minors?

Once one starts out with double-standards, it makes for quite a quagmire down the road.

Stosh

Venturers are youth on crew activities until 21.

The only YPT they'd need to take is if they also want to register as ASM of a troop.

Never understood why this is hard, but I have had to waste a lot of breath explaining it to perplexed youth.

Stosh

IN THE UNIT, this policy is okay, but in a court of law that doesn't recognize BSA policy in the same way, it could be a problem. A 20 year old male Venturer doing something inappropriate to a 14 year old female in the Crew may not fall under VYPT or YPT BSA "rules", but when it hits the fan, the adult is going to have a tough row to hoe in a court of law, and the BSA is going to be wiping a lot of egg off it's face.

By the way, I fully understand the hypocrisy of the BSA policy, and I understand the dynamics of the law outside of the scope of BSA. That's the problem, not trying to waste a lot of breath explaining it to perplexed youth. The young adults are scratching their heads because they see the hypocrisy, too and it doesn't make any more sense to them than it does to me.

I ran a Venture Crew for 15 years and as soon as any Crew member turned 18, they had to take YPT! End of discussion in my Crew. I don't care what they were registered as, they took the training. It would be no different than if I had other adults that were working directly related to BSA members and weren't registered at all in any position.

Those adults (drivers) that were helping out were all reminded by me that all my scouts were trained to report any incident they felt uncomfortable in to any other adult that will listen. That has always been my YPT in a nutshell speech that all non-YPT trained adults get from me. And yes, the grey area of 18-21 Venturing falls smack in the middle of that discussion.

Stosh

Crews and troops are separate organizations.

I would like to discourage you from taking the girls along on troop outings. I think you are doing a huge disservice to the Boys in the troop by letting their sisters tag along.

boy scouting and venturing are not Family scouting.

So for that sake of both programs do not allow the crew to tag along on every troop outing.

I would like to discourage you from taking the girls along on troop outings. I think you are doing a huge disservice to the Boys in the troop by letting their sisters tag along.

So for that sake of both programs do not allow the crew to tag along on every troop outing.

Our crew(all girls) recently joined the Troop on a winter survival weekend. Most of the older boys in the Troop bailed and the girls ended up teaching the boys firemaking, shelter building, water purifying, etc... If done right it can work. For the record I have no son in the Troop.

Something to consider when combining a Venturing Crew and a Troop - Any Crew members 18+ years old MUST follow regular YPT rules with the Troop YOUTH.

While an 18 year old might be a youth to other members of their Crew - to all of the Troop members they are an adult.

This means the 18+ yo Crew members can NOT tent with, or be alone with, any of the Troop members.

Personally, I think chartering a Crew as a "part" of a Troop is a bad idea. Especially when the Crew is restricted to all females. Will the girls be required to leave the Crew at 18, like the boys are in the Troop?

That is fine.

It was one outing.

the original poster is creating an all girl crew attached to a Troop.

That is not how the program was intended.

I take exception to BD and JBlake. Or maybe I am the exception!

Basically, Mike, the youth in the two units should meet separately (at different times, if it turns out some boys in the troop also want to be part of the crew.) Mutual participation is by invitation only under youth initiative. If the SPL does not invite the crew by personally contacting the crew president, the crew is not invited. If the crew President or VP-Program does not invite the SPL, the troop is not invited.

My youth caught on pretty quick when they would want each others' company and when they'd rather do their own things.

I take exception to BD and JBlake. Or maybe I am the exception!

Basically, Mike, the youth in the two units should meet separately (at different times, if it turns out some boys in the troop also want to be part of the crew.) Mutual participation is by invitation only under youth initiative. If the SPL does not invite the crew by personally contacting the crew president, the crew is not invited. If the crew President or VP-Program does not invite the SPL, the troop is not invited.

My youth caught on pretty quick when they would want each others' company and when they'd rather do their own things.

My point was that each unit has to have it's own autonomy, your example emphasizes that! :) There is a troop and they do their own thing. There is a Crew and they do their own thing. On an occasional or even regular basis they can do the same thing together, but each unit decides on it's own when that happens. If the crew decides to do a canoe trip it is not automatically assumed the troop is invited and vice versa.

Stosh