Spirit of the Eagle Award for Scout

My Troop recently lost a member due to a hay ride accident and the Committee put the Scout in for the Spirit of the Eagle award, which came in today's mail. I ask this esteemed panel for suggestion on a ceremony for presenting this award to the family.

I am thinking about a modified version of Spirit of the Eagle Eagle Scout Ceremony, found in the Eagle Scout Court of Honor Book by Mark Ray.

The troop was the honor guard at the Scout's funeral, including folding a casket flag at the gravesite, that I secured from the local Legion post.

Please let me know what you think to help us honor this departed Scout.

My condolences on your loss. It's always sad to lose one close to us, and I hope you and the Scouts find solace in each other and with the Lord's help.

I think planning for the ceremony should be initiated with a discussion with the family of the deceased. This topic came up recently on Scouts-L and I have the best response I've seen saved somewhere. It came from the father of a boy who died who also received the Spirit of the Eagle Award. The troop made a big-to-do about it and surprised the family. The father was proud, touched, etc., but felt very uncomfortable when called upon (unexpectedly) to make a response to the group.

I think you're on the right track, but please take the time up front to make it meaningful to those who live who lost a family member.

God bless.

Dave

I would suggest making it as much like an Eagle COH as possible. There has already been a funeral, no need to have a second one. It should be a celebration and remembrance of the Scout's accomplishments in life, what he stood for, and what he believed in. I would agree that you should consult with the family to determine what they want. However, they may prefer to leave the details to the unit. Without knowing the individual I can't really get into details. Eagle Court's always have to be tailored to the tastes and history of the Eagle and his family. I hope all goes well with this endevour. I can't imagine losing one of our Scouts (even the ones I couldn't get to stop throwing sand at each other).

• 1 month later...