The Liberty Amendments

A Constitutional Convention could in theory offer a new Constitution... The original Constitutional Convention was called to amend the Articles of Confederacy.

I'm not sure that you could call a Constitutional Convention for the sole purpose of offering Amendments and NOT have it be open ended.

I think that if you repealed Direct Election of Senators, the whole situation would solve itself within 10 years. That one was a well intentioned reform that has totally destroyed Federalism.

I assure you that it not only can be limited to those amendments, but it would have to be that way. The Convention of States can only be called to vote on specific proposals. The convention could not rewrite the Constitution. This is a big misunderstanding that many people have. And remember, 3/4 of the state legislatures must ratify any amendments passed.

Mr. Levin's book sounds like a must read; I'm going to see if I can pick it up after work today. From my point of view this Nation has two issues:

1. A government that is no longer "of the people, for the people, and by the people" ... that could care less about the people outside of an election.

2. People what are so self-involved, and/or so distracted by social crack, like professional sports, to be remotely aware of what's happening in this nation.

If we solve the second issue, the first will quickly be resolved. Mr. Levin's book sounds like it could be the striker that rings the liberty bell. As you stated, "We the people" can correct our own issues, peacefully, if we pry ourselves away from reality TV long enough to become aware of our reality. I fear that if "The People" don't wake up soon, others who are less informed, will attempt to force change in more destructive ways.

A Constitutional Convention could in theory offer a new Constitution... The original Constitutional Convention was called to amend the Articles of Confederacy.

I'm not sure that you could call a Constitutional Convention for the sole purpose of offering Amendments and NOT have it be open ended.

I think that if you repealed Direct Election of Senators, the whole situation would solve itself within 10 years. That one was a well intentioned reform that has totally destroyed Federalism.

Article V doesn't read that way to me:

"The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress"

Looks to me like amendments are proposed at the convention.

Merlin, the amendments are proposed at the convention, but the convention is called only for the purpose of voting on amendments which are proposed by the states.
I don't see where it says that at all; it says "on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments". To me, that says that the place to propose amendments is at the convention.

Somewhere in the past week-2 weeks I saw a headline about Virginia preparing for a constituional convention (phrased like "WHY is VA preparing for...") but I can't remember where and the only thing Google is giving me is Glenn Beck which I don't read, but apparently VA and SC have already called for the convention http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/12/04/is-a-constitutional-convention-just-around-the-corner-south-carolina-virginia-call-for-a-convention-of-states/

Several States are moving in that direction. Of course, the main stream media is oblivious to the whole thing. I guess it's going to be up to me to write an op-ed to my local mullet wrapper about the process and send out emails to my state legislators.

Since the Civil War, the downward spiral of increased federal government power, decreased state power has taken its toll. Unfortunately, it is exactly what our Founding Fathers set up the US Constitution to avoid. It gave a few powers to the Federal government and ALL THE REST to the States! The Founding Fathers would be appalled at what the US has become. The American Dream is over and each year that passes it will be that much harder to reverse the declining spiral we are in and have been for quite some time.

Stosh

Yeah, that pesky Civil War that emancipated an entire class of oppressed Americans. Which of course led to women wanting to vote. This liberty thing is getting out of hand. ;)
Since the Civil War, the downward spiral of increased federal government power, decreased state power has taken its toll. Unfortunately, it is exactly what our Founding Fathers set up the US Constitution to avoid. It gave a few powers to the Federal government and ALL THE REST to the States! The Founding Fathers would be appalled at what the US has become. The American Dream is over and each year that passes it will be that much harder to reverse the declining spiral we are in and have been for quite some time.

Stosh

Writ of habeas corpus was first suspended during the Civil War which would incarcerate many Americans without charges, without trial. Sorry to say, it has been repeated several times since. Sorry no liberty for you and your family George Takei, welcome to life in horse stables at a war relocation center (WW2).