I don't know if anyone else experiences this but, sometimes, we don't always get a large participation at our Courts of Honor. We hold 2 per year. One just before Christmas and the other at the end of May or early June. Sometimes we do just fine.

It has been suggested that our Troop think about trying a "Red and Green" dinner at the end of the year, similar to the "Blue and Gold" of Cub Packs. In essence, we would prefer to have the event catered and would charge a small fee for the dinner etc. I think it's a nice idea but here's my main reservation. Our Troop camps every month all year long so families are always paying for that. There are also, on occasion, other things we do for a fee, not to mention the weekly dues and all of that. We also promote the payment of summer camp throughout the year. I'm not sure if families are going to get excited about paying for an end of year dinner as well.

I can see how it works in Cubbing basically because it's, pretty much for the most part, the only thing people really pay extra for all year. Excluding, of course, Pinewood Derby cars or if their sending their children to Cub Resident camp in the summer.

My question is, has anyone tried a dinner / Court of Honor like this and has it worked for you?

I'll be checking to see your feedback and will add follow-through comments if needed.

Thanks.

When I was a kid, my troop used to do a potluck toward the end of each year. It included our FOS presentation and Camp promotion. All us Scouts looked forward to it.

I have to admit that when I saw the title, Red and Green dinner, I thought ????! I don't like the name. Troop potluck sounds more manly.

The potluck, however, was anything but luck. Someone coordinated it. The family was asked to bring either a salad, side-dish, meat or desert. The troop bought the foam plates and plastic silverware, bread, milk, etc. No fee was charged.

A lot of the parents (mostly moms at the time) saw it as an opportunity to cook their favorite dish for the boys and adults who were used to eating each other's cooking and there was always lots of good stuff to eat.

My suggestion is that you go with a potluck affair and don't charge a fee. Catered is nice, but why not let someone spring their home-cooked green bean caserole on the troop?

Just a few thoughts.

DS

I have to agree with potluck. That is the way our troop does things like this. Either that or do a cookout. (You could in fact go halfway, with all side dished and deserts being potluck and cookout the meat immediately prior to the event.) For Eagle Courts of Honor we do the actual COH in the chuch chapel and then have a celebratory dinner afterwards in the church's fellowship hall. The Eagle's family provides meat, plates, cups, napkins, and other things like that. Each Scout's family is asked to bring a side dish or something like that. In that way no one person has the burdon of preparing or paying for all the food. It also provides a wide variety of foods. Further, the more people that come, the more food that is brought, so that works out nicely. Also, by having each family commit to bringing a dish ahead of time that will ensure that they won't just decide to stay home at the last minute. In the case of a troop wide Court of Honor you would probably want to either sub out all of the items, or pay for meats and paper products from the troop budget. It would also be appropriate to invite some distinguished visitors to such an occasion. Those could include representatives of the district, former SMs, former CCs, the IH, and other individuals that you wish to show off the troop to and say thank you to.

Well in my troop i guess yo call our breakfest thingy the blue and gold banquet of the year but we do a couple of things. Scout sunday weekend troop partipates in the mall show on saturday go up set up our exibit then the boys take turns looknig over our displays. The next day scout sunday the troop goes to the church and if any boys have religoius awards to be presented to we would go to theirs if not we would just go to a different one. Afterwards we would go over to a restraunt have our own area in the back (no other people around) and have breakfest and then present awards over the year and announcements and such. Its always worked out for us so it works.

We do a big event at a local campout each year... COH, flag retirement and pot luck dinner and first campout for new scouts crossing over from Webelos.

The camp has a covered dinning area. Troop adults take care if flipping the burgers and dogs. Parents take care of sidedishes and beverages. The scouts fire up the dutch ovens and make the desserts.

BTW: the flags that are retired each year are from the reflaging of the vet's graves in town.

Our troop has an annual dinner during February which is catered and we have some type of entertainment (Guest speaker, jazz band, magician), then at the end of the year we have a picnic where the troop supplies the main course (usually fried chicken) and families bring a side dish. Our attendance is usually very good at both events.

Our troop has an annual Christmas potluck dinner, which is always eagerly anticipated. The boy leaders do a special program, as well as the usual awards given. It's very nice. Several people are tagged to prepare turkey their way at the troop's expense. Everyone else is assigned a side dish or dessert to bring.

Last June, we decided to have a cookout as part of that COH since it's often the least attended (it's hot, buggy, and the summer camp awards are not in yet). The troop provided the meat and again everyone else brought side dishes and desserts. We had way more people that we'd dared hope for, and everyone had a great time. We decided to make this an annual event, too, and leave the Spring and Fall COHs as is - light refreshments.

We call ours "Family Night / COH "

We generally do 4 COH's a year - approx one a quarter. Two are meals/family/social time. For the Jan one it is potluck/awards/ skits - for the August one (alot of awards because it is after summer camp) we meet in the park at a shelter. The troop provides meat, bread and pop, everyone brings a dish or dessert to share. We play softball or volleyball, have a big waterfight, we might do a scouting demo campsite or shoot off the rockets the Space Explorer badge boys made.

The other two COH's, simple ceremonies with cookies or pie and punch - sometimes don't draw many people. but the two big family nights are ALWAYS packed - often with extended familes, grandparents and others.

We also do four Courts of Honor each year, one a quarter. Every one is a potluck where the Scouts have to cook the dish and clean up after themselfs. The troop provides the Bug Juice and tablewear. We have an opening, eat the meal and then do the program. Our attendance is always large, with parents, brothers and sisters, and grandparents. We also have the last COH in June at my house everyyear. I provide Bug Juice, Hot Dogs, Buns and the familys provide the rest of the meal. Always a big blowout. Great Times.

Dancin