I am not new to scouting, maybe modern scouting..lol. But I just relocated to Ohio as I retired in 2012 from Georgia Army National Guard. Wife got promoted to mid west regional director of her company so here I am.

I am getting back involved with scouting and I have been a Scout (troop 317 northwest Georgia council) and as a short time (got deployed) as a Asst scoutmaster with Troop 100. I have sent out request's to some local troops to see if there is any needs for help in any capacity.

So if anybody is on here in the north Olmsted, Ohio area and needs help. Please contact me thru PM so we can exchange numbers. thanks

Welcome to the forums.. Some troops may be suspicious of someone they don't know who is offering help with no kids, then others might respond.. If you don't hear anything, look at being a Unit Commissioner for some of the units in your area, as that may get them to know you. Nothing says that you have to stay in the UC position.. Or else you can offer to work at district.. Working at district events, units get to know you and you them.. Until then, at least around us, for district events any district people without a unit usually form a patrol and camp together. Then again, you make contacts working the events..

Welcome to the Great White North!

I'm sure there's something a volunteer with your experience could provide. Call your council office and let them know you'd like to keep your registration current. Meanwhile, enjoy the Cuyahoga valley. The park is definitely worth a visit.

I appreciate the warm welcome and the advice. @ moosetracker I can see that issue and often thought about that myself!

Fortunately God blessed me with a girl who is grown now. I really do not care at what level my involvement is with BSA. I have put some request's out there and will see where that goes. I plan on talking with someone at the council level next week.

This is not the first time for me working with kid's. In the past me and my wife have been Sunday school teachers, Assit Scoutmaster for troop 100 Northeast Georgia council, I have worked with CAP kids, ANG REP 68 Program, Governors task force for counter narcotics, NASAR, CERT, and use to run the High school Collation for Northwest Atlanta Habitat for Humanity build's.

I really think that if BSA SOP is followed with interaction between adult and child are followed I do not see an issue. I also know that Sponsoring programs have there own SOP's or at least they should..

@Eaglescout441, my email is msg.jeffcarr@gmail.com, again many thanks for the welcome and hope that I meet some of you in the future. Cheers!!

You might want to contact the District and find out who charters the various Scout troops in your area. Then you could consider becoming active in those charter organizations and get your foot in the door that way.

Welcome back , KT. I would second the suggestions already made and add some more.

If you attend a faith institution (or member of a service club, or ???) , check to see if they have a Scout unit, and if not, look into starting one. Make yourself known to the congregation (newsletter, deacons, elders, etc.) and find some like minded Scouty folks.

Go to the Council website, find your appropriate District, get the names of your District Key Three and attend the next Roundtable. I know you will find your niche.